Alternate Standing Arnold Press Instructions
- Set up for the exercise by grabbing a pair of dumbbells and standing straight up with your feet around shoulder width apart.
- Raise the dumbbells to shoulder height on each side, and twist so that your palms are facing your body. The dumbbells should now be positioned directly in front of your shoulders.
- Your back should be straight and there should be a slight bend in your knees. This is the starting position for the exercise.
- Keeping your eyes facing forwards, slowly raise the dumbbell in your left hand above your head while turning your wrist so that your palm is now facing forward (away from your body).
- Keep raising the weight until your arm is almost fully extended.
- Do not pause at the top of the movement, and immediately begin lowering the dumbbell back down to the starting position - twisting at the wrist until your palm is facing your body once again.
- Repeat this movement immediately with your right arm, and then repeat for desired reps.
- Always use a full range of motion and control the dumbbells throughout the set.
- Many lifters let their form go and add weight too quickly. This will at times result in an injury and could hinder your shoulder gains.