Notice: Eating the right diet for your goals may result in increased lean muscle and decreased bodyfat.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 1/4 pounds canned, chopped tomatoes, drained
- 1 cup red lentils
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 1/2 cups vegetable stock
- 1/4 cups coconut milk
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Melt the butter in a saucepan and put the garlic and onion in for 2 minutes while stirring, then add the spices.
- Put in tomatoes, red lentils, lemon juice, vegetable stock, coconut milk, and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer for 25-30 min. until the lentils are cooked.
- Ready to eat! (you can add the cilantro and lemon now to add more flavor)
It may sound complicated but it's actually pretty simple. You don't need ALL the ingredients for it to still be good and it tastes delicious. Add more coconut milk if it's too spicy.
Serves 4, or makes 4 meals.
Should I use one cup of dry lentils or canned lentils?
Just tried this recipe and it was a great Dahl. Definitely quite differernt from the Dahl I usually make. To this recipe I added two 95g tins of tuna in saltwater. Next time though I think I might decrease the amount of tomato in it and add some curry powder....but for anyone trying out this recipe as it is, it's definitely great the way it is too!
My mom used to make it for us growing up in India!.She used to add cumin when sauteeing onions and garam masala in the end and oh salantro is must for garnish if you are me add some chilli or jalapeno for garnish as well.
In terms of improving strength and adding muscle are protein and amino acids from lentils as good as those from chicken, fish or beef?
replace butter with olive oil....oh soooo good this soup !!
Definately one of the best soups I have made. Many thanks