X-Band Walk Overview
The X-band walk is a popular choice among those looking to activate their glutes as a warm up prior to their main compound lift.
Resistance bands, as used during the x-band walk, provide accommodating resistance. This means the exercise becomes more challenging the close you get to a full contraction.
The X-band walk also trains the body in a frontal plane which is a nice change of pace for bodybuilders who normal train in the sagittal plane.
X-Band Walk Instructions
- Set up in a standing position holding one end of a band and looping the other end under your feet.
- Cross the band to form an X and pull up on the ends to increase the tension across the band.
- Keep the hips low and execute small lateral steps.
- Repeat in the opposite direction for the desired number of repetitions.
X-Band Walk Tips
- Keep the shoulders level and execute small steps while ensuring that the glutes are working primarily.
- Ensure the hips stay stable and there isn’t any excessive rotation.
- Sit into the hips and don’t stand up in between repetitions.
- Maintain a good athletic base position with your feet slightly wider than shoulder width and your shoulders stacked over your hips. Think: “soft knees, active glutes”.