- Target Muscle Group
- Exercise TypeStrength
- Equipment RequiredDumbbell
- Force TypePull
- Experience LevelAdvanced
- Secondary Muscles
Target Muscle Group
Weighted Hanging Knee Raise Instructions
- The hanging knee raise focuses on the lower ab muscles. Grab a dumbbell and sit it upright at the bottom of a chin up bar (or any other suitable bar you can hang from).
- Facing away from the wall, grasp the bar by and put one foot on either side of the dumbbell to pick it up.
- Once you have the dumbbell secured, hang from the bar with the dumbbell slightly off the floor.
- Slowly raise your knees up as far as they will go.
- Pause, then slowly lower your knees back to the starting position.
- Don't let the dumbbell touch the floor at any point throughout the set!
- You can use hooks or straps to take some of the pressure off your forearms.
- This exercise is best performed slowly with very strict technique.
- Keep you upper body as still as possible, not allowing yourself to swing. Use your abs to move the weight, not momentum!
- Start with a very light weight. As your abs get stronger increase the amount of weight used.