Weighted Crunch Overview
The weighted crunch is a variation of the crunch and an exercise used to build the abdominal muscles.
Adding weight is a common form of progression used to make bodyweight exercises, such as the crunch, more challenging. Doing so allows for the lifter to progress, adapt, and build more muscle.
Weighted Crunch Instructions
- Lay supine in a relaxed position with your knees bent.
- Hold a weight plate directly over your chest and press it to extension.
- Raise your knees to 90 degrees, at which point they will be perpendicular to the floor.
- Exhale as you reach towards your toes with the weight plate.
- Once your abs are fully contracted and your upper back is off the floor, slowly lower yourself back to the starting position.
- Complete for the assigned number of repetitions.
Weighted Crunch Tips
- Exhale hard like you’re blowing out candles on a cake and hold the contraction for a second to improve mind muscle connection.
- If your lower back bothers you during this exercise, choose more anti extension and anti rotation based movements.
- Avoid putting the hands behind the head as this can lead to excess strain upon the neck.