- Target Muscle Group
- Exercise TypeWarmup
- Equipment RequiredBands
- Force TypePull (Bilateral)
- Experience LevelBeginner
- Secondary Muscles
Target Muscle Group
Supinated 90 Degree Band Pull Apart Overview
The supinated 90 degree band pull apart is an activation drill used to warm up the muscles of the upper body.
Primarily, the supinated 90 degree band pull apart works on the mobility of the upper back and shoulders.
Proper warming up is critical, especially when it comes to the shoulder joint as it is active in the majority of movements putting it at a higher risk for injury.
Supinated 90 Degree Band Pull Apart Instructions
- Set up in an athletic position with a band in both hands and your palms facing up.
- Pin the elbows to your sides at 90 degrees.
- Exhale and externally rotate the shoulders by pull the band apart slightly
- Slowly rotate back to the starting position and repeat for the desired number of repetitions.
Supinated 90 Degree Band Pull Apart Tips
- Ensure that you exhale as you pull the band apart, this will help to maintain a neutral spine position and prevent you from compensating via hyperextension as you go through repetitions.
- This movement will be relatively small given you’re just working external rotation at the shoulder. There should be NO movement of the shoulder blade.
- Don’t allow the head to jut forward as you pull the band apart.
- Keep the elbows pinned to your sides. This exercise is not about range of motion or overload, it’s about activation.