- Target Muscle Group
- Exercise TypeStrength
- Equipment RequiredBarbell
- Force TypeN/A
- Experience LevelBeginner
- Secondary Muscles
Target Muscle Group
Standing Barbell Twist Instructions
- The standing barbell twist exercise focuses on your obliques. Grab a light barbell and rest it on the muscle on the back of your neck. Do not rest the weight on your neck!
- Stand up straight, with your feet firmly on the floor at a wide than shoulder width stance, and your back straight.
- Slowly twist your torso to the right and then to the left. Tense up your mid section.
- Twist as far as possible. Do not move your head with the twist, but keep eyes facing forward.
- Don't look from side to side, but keep your head facing forward.
- Keep your abs tight throughout the whole set.
- Make sure you have enough room if you're using an Olympic bar!
- This exercise can be performed wile sitting on the edge of a bench.