- Target Muscle Group
- Exercise TypeStrength
- Equipment RequiredBarbell
- Force TypePull
- Experience LevelBeginner
- Secondary Muscles
Target Muscle Group
Spider Curl Instructions
- The spider curl uses the conventional preacher bench, but in an unconventional way! When you do a spider curl the padding that is usually used to support your upper arms is used to support your stomach.
- To set up for the spider curl you need to either turn the arm padding around 180 degrees, or position yourself at the front of the bench facing the seat.
- Grab a barbell and hold it with an underhand grip around shoulder width apart.
- Position yourself with your stomach on the padding and arms hanging off the high side.
- Keep your eyes facing forward and slowly curl the weight up as far as possible.
- Squeeze the biceps, pause, and then slowly lower the weight back to the bottom.
- Repeat for desired reps.
Spider Curl Tips:
- Do not allow the weight to hang at the bottom, always keeping the tension on your biceps throughout set.
- Use a slow and controlled motion throughout the set.
- Keep your wrists straight.
- An EZ Bar or dumbbells can be used for this exercise.