Smith Machine Upright Row Instructions
- Select the desired weight and load it onto a barbell.
- Unrack the bar by rotating the safety latches off the j-hooks.
- Inhale, brace your abs, and then lead the movement by driving the elbows high as you pull the bar to chest height.
- When the bar has reached its peak, reverse the movement slowly while controlling the bar back to the starting position.
- Repeat for the desired number of repetitions.
Smith Machine Upright Row Tips
- Don’t lean back as you pull the weight up, keep the motion under control and don’t rely on momentum.
- This exercise may be contraindicated for some folks as they have a higher chance of impingement during the movement due to anatomical factors, shoulder mobility, and hand positioning.
- If you can, limit elbow movement to chest height to decrease the chance of potential shoulder impingement.
- If upright rows bother your wrists, consider a dumbbell, cable, or banded options as these place less stress on the wrists.
- As you drive the elbows high, ensure the head doesn’t jut forward.