- Target Muscle Group
- Exercise TypeStrength
- Equipment RequiredBodyweight
- Force TypeStatic
- Experience LevelBeginner
- Secondary Muscles
Target Muscle Group
Side Plank Instructions
- The side plank is a great exercise for building core strength, and more specifically oblique strength. It's also a good balance exercise. It's your choice whether to use a mat in this exercise. Start by laying on your side with one hand on the floor and your feet on top of one another.
- If you prefer, you can rest on your elbow instead of your hand.
- Lift your hips up until your body is exactly straight.
- Now hold this position for as long as possible. You should feel this exercise in your abs and obliques.
- Complete the same for the opposite side of the body.
Side Plank Tips:
- Do not let your mid-section sag. Always stay perfectly straight.
- Do the side plank in front of the mirror to ensure you keep your technique tight!
- Try to hold your plank for a full minute. Hold the plank for longer periods of time for increased intensity.
Hi, to make this exercice harder, should I add weigth to the side of my body, or do it for a longer amount of time? Thanks!
Go for time, Simon. Adding weight on a side plank may not be the best idea unless you're wearing a weighted vest. The side isn't as wide as the back. So, placing a plate on your side could increase the risk of injury, or the weight may fall off.
These planks have 3 sets. 20 seconds each. So do I have to switch hands in between sets or do I have to do 3 sets left hand and 3 sets right hand?
Hey Randolph - which workout are you referring to?
Side planks. Do I have to do the right and left side 3 sets or 3 sets alternate between the left and right?
I can't give an exact answer without knowing which workout program you're using. Most likely, it's 3 total sets alternating between the left and the right.
Are my arms supposed to be very tired after this exercise feel more strain on arms than abs
Just do normal planks if these bring you trouble. Guarantee you you will feel it the next day either way you do it. Keep it up.
Great ab exercise, always feel it the next day
That exercise have more benefits if you dont use elbow?
nice workout u