- Target Muscle Group
- Exercise TypeStrength
- Equipment RequiredCable
- Force TypePush (Bilateral)
- Experience LevelBeginner
- Secondary Muscles
Rope Tricep Extension Overview
The rope tricep extension is a variation of the cable tricep extension and an exercise used to build the muscles of the triceps.
Rope Tricep Extension Instructions
- Attach a rope to a cable stack as high as possible and assume a standing position.
- Grasp the rope with a neutral grip (palms facing in) and lean forward slightly by hinging at the hips.
- Initiate the movement by extending the elbows and flexing the triceps.
- Pull the rope downward until the elbows are almost locked out and then slowly lower under control back to the starting position.
- Repeat for the desired number of repetitions.
Rope Tricep Extension Tips
- If you want to keep more tension in the triceps, don’t lock the elbows out entirely.
- Imagine there’s a screw running through your elbow and don’t allow them to move in front of the body as you extend at the bottom of the movement.
- Experiment with static elbow positioning throughout the lift - some may find that they get a better stretch in the bottom portion of the movement by allowing their elbows to drift behind the body during the eccentric portion of the movement (similar to a drag curl).
- Ensure the shoulder blades don’t tilt forward as you extend the elbows.