- Set up for the reverse grip french press by loading a barbell or EZ-bar with the appropriate amount of weight and standing with your feet around shoulder width apart.
- Grasp the barbell with an underhand grip (palms facing up) with your hands about 8-12 inches apart.
- Lift the bar above your head and bend at your elbows slightly to take the tension onto your triceps. This is the starting position for the exercise.
- Keeping your elbows fixed and pointing straight up toward the ceiling, slowly lower the bar down behind your head as far as comfortably possible.
- Pause, and then slowly raise the bar back to the starting position.
- Don't lock your elbows out, and then repeat the movement.
- Technique is really important! Don't let your elbows flare out as you move the barbell, and keep the rep timing slow and controlled.
- Don't lock your elbows out at the top of the movement.
- Focus on keeping your body as still as possible, moving only your forearms.
- Concentrate on moving the weight with with your triceps to get the full benefit.