- Begin by selecting the weight you wish to use on the stack of a lateral raise machine.
- Adjust the seat height and sit facing the machine with your feet flat on the floor around shoulder width apart.
- Secure your arms in the padding and grip the handles. Look straight ahead. You are now ready to begin the exercise.
- With a bend in the elbows and moving only at the shoulders, begin pushing the weight up until your forearms are just above parallel.
- Contract your shoulders at the height of the movement and begin slowly lowering the weight using the same semicircle motion you used raise it.
- Repeat this movement for desired reps.
- As this is an isolation movement, form is more important that weight.
- Keep the delts under strain by using strict form.
- Use a full range of motion.
- Keep your body as still as possible throughout the movement, moving only at the shoulders.