- Target Muscle Group
- Exercise TypeStrength
- Equipment RequiredCable
- Force TypePush
- Experience LevelBeginner
- Secondary Muscles
Target Muscle Group
Lying Cable Tricep Extension Instructions
- Set up for the lying cable tricep extension by placing a flat bench directly in front of a pulley cable machine, attaching a straight bar to the low pulley, and selecting the weight you want to use on the stack.
- Grab the bar with an overhand grip (palms facing down) at shoulder width apart and lie down flat on the bench with your feet firmly on the floor. You should be lying with your head near the pulley.
- Raise your upper arms straight up and keep them tucked in close to your body.
- Your forearms should be around parallel to the floor holding the bar above your head, lifting the weight slightly off the stack. This is the starting position.
- Push the bar upward, moving only at your elbows. Continue pushing until your arms are fully extended.
- Pause for a moment and then slowly return the bar to the starting position.
- Repeat for desired reps.
Lying Cable Tricep Extension Tips
- Focus on moving the weight with your triceps, keeping control of the weight as you slowly lower the weight stack back to the starting position.
- Keep your body as still as possible, moving only your forearms.
- Keep your head up and your eyes forward throughout the exercise.