- Set up for the exercise by setting the weight you want to use on a hip extension machine.
- Stand straight up in the machine with the front of your left leg against the padding. The padding should be positioned just above the knee.
- Keep both feet together and hold onto the machine handle with both hands for stability. This is the starting position.
- Slowly lift your left knee up in front of your body by pushing against the padding. This will raise the weight stack.
- Pause for a moment and slowly lower your leg back to the starting position.
- Repeat for desired reps and then repeat using your right leg.
- Don't allow the weight to drop to the stack. Slowly lower it in a controlled fashion and focus on the contraction in your hips and glutes.
- Keep your upper body as still as possible, moving only at the hip of the working leg.