Abs, Calves, Glutes
Glute Ham Raise (GHR) Overview
Glute Ham Raise (GHR) Instructions
- Set up in a GHD with your knees bent, hips extended, and torso upright.
- Straighten your legs while keeping your hips extended.
- Continue until your body is in a straight line and parallel to the floor.
- Pull yourself back to the starting position using your hamstrings.
- Repeat for the desired number of repetitions.
Glute Ham Raise (GHR) Tips
You should feel this primarily through your glutes and hamstrings. If you’re getting a lower back pump then odds are, you’re dealing with a core/pelvis stability issue.
- If you find that you struggle with keeping a neutral spine then you can regress to something such as valslide leg curls or eccentric only GHRs.
- Razor curls are typically used as a progression to GHRs so if you struggle to complete normal GHRs then you can use this variation which shortens the lever arm.
- Refrain from locking out your knees at the bottom of the movement to keep tension through your hamstrings.
- If desired you can take the hips into flexion in the bottom portion of the movement as this will help to enhance glute activation. However, this also increases the complexity of the movement and many folks will extend through the lumbar spine rather than the hips, thus putting themselves in a poor position to complete the GHR efficiently.