Biceps, Traps, Upper Back
Dumbbell Upright Row Instructions
- Select the desired weight from the rack and assume a shoulder width stance with a slightly narrower grip.
- Take a deep breath then pull the dumbbells directly up the front of your body to chest height, keeping them as close as possible.
- Slowly lower the dumbbells back to the starting position under control.
- Repeat for the desired number of repetitions.
Dumbbell Upright Row Tips
- Keep the elbows high but don’t allow the upper arm to go past parallel as this may increase the risk of impingement.
- If you experience pain in the shoulders during the movement than it may require a slight squeeze of the traps to elevate the shoulders and open up some of the subacromial space.
- Don’t allow your back to arch as you pull the dumbbells up.
- Extra momentum used during the movement can potentially shift the load to other compensatory muscles so try to limit excessive movement if possible.
- As you drive the elbows high, ensure the head doesn’t jut forward.