Seated Bent Over Dumbbell Reverse Fly Instructions
- Secure a flat bench and select the desired weight from the rack.
- Sit in an upright position and then hinge forward from the hips.
- Allow the arms to hang straight down from the shoulders with a neutral grip and dumbbells behind your calves.
- Take a deep breath and pull the dumbbells towards the ceiling using the rear deltoids.
- Slowly lower the dumbbells back to the starting position under control.
- Repeat for the desired number of repetitions.
Seated Bent Over Dumbbell Reverse Fly Tips
- Ideally we want to focus on the rear deltoids, not the scapular retractors so movement at the shoulder blade should be limited. Move the shoulder within the joint, not the shoulder blade on the ribcage.
- Keep the abs braced and don’t arch the back at the top of the movement.
- Hinge as far as comfortably possible while completing the exercise. Or, you could also take a seated position to complete the exercise as well.
- If you experience shoulder pain during the movement then it may be beneficial to rotate the dumbbells until the thumbs are pointing away from one another and the palms are facing forward. This is also known as a supinated grip and will externally rotate the shoulder.
- Don’t jut your head forward during the movement - this is about stimulation for a small muscle group. Focus during the movement and don’t just rely on momentum.
- Allow the arms to move freely but don’t lock out the elbows.