- To perform deep push ups you'll need a set of dumbbells or something that will allow you to use a deeper range of motion. In this example we've used dumbbells. You could use blocks, chairs or almost anything that's stable - use your imagination!
- Set up by placing the dumbbells on the floor slightly wider than shoulder width apart.
- Grasp the dumbbells and extend your legs and arms, and straighten your body out. This is the starting position.
- Slowly lower yourself down as far as possible. (You should get a good chest stretch by the bottom of the movement.)
- Pause, then slowly push back to the starting position. Do not log your elbows out at the top.
- Repeat for desired reps.
Deep Push Up Tips:
- Keep the movement slow and controlled going as deep as comfortably possible.
- Keep your body straight throughout the movement, without allowing your mid section sag.
- Deep pushups are a good shock exercise to perform immediately after a heavy bench or dumbbell bench set. This really gets the blood pumped into your pecs and delts!