- Target Muscle Group
- Exercise TypeStrength
- Equipment RequiredBodyweight
- Force TypePush
- Experience LevelBeginner
- Secondary Muscles
Target Muscle Group
Close Grip Push Up Instructions
The close grip push up is a variation of the push up that focuses on hitting the triceps.
- Set up by placing your palms on the floor with your thumbs touching one another.
- Extend your legs back so that only your toes are touching the floor and your body is straight.
- Bend slightly at the elbows to keep tension in your triceps.
- Keeping your body straight, slowly lower yourself as far as possible without hitting the floor.
- Pause, and then push back up to the starting position without locking your elbows out.
- Repeat for desired reps.
Close Grip Push Up Tips
- Keep your elbows tucked in at your side throughout the set.
- Don't lock your elbows out. This takes the tension off the triceps and makes the exercise less effective.
- The close-grip push-up is a good finishing exercise or as a second exercise in a superset.
I’m struggling a little bit with this one,any alternative for this routine?
You can perform it on your knees instead of your toes to make it easier. Other than that, you could do extensions with bands. I don't know what you have access to. Check out other exercises here on M&S to find choices that you feel you can do.
Try with the bars close together for sure. You could also take dumbbells and do overhead presses with the dumbbells touching each other and your palms are facing each other. This will place more emphasis on the triceps as well.
Well I have push up bars barbell dumbbell ez bar and squat rack,my biggest problem is that my hands are slipping when I’m doing this one I already tried to do this one on silicon mat to prevent slipping but it won’t work, next time I think I try with bars close together.
I did today with bars and there is a lot of emphasis on chest,is that how it’s supposed to be? I’m doing your 5 day at home program and chest is done on Monday.
Palms are facing inside when doing with bars yes?
Close grip will hit the chest to a degree, but it should be more triceps work. If you want to do the triceps only, then go with half reps. I don't recommend that often, but in your case, it may be needed. Lower yourself until you begin to feel the chest, then push up. Squeeze those triceps hard by staying up at the top for a couple of seconds.
Hello I like a lot your routines so right now I’m following Killmonger routine but I’m 177 lb, not strength. I’m doing 8 push up and 8 push up every repetition. Can I do another excercise or can I stay doing 8 push up x 3 reps?
I want to do at Fitness workout gym
How many reps of pushups must I do to get effects
if you're struggling to do a normal pushup rest on your knees instead of your toes. If this is too easy do a standard pushup but with your body on an incline (eg. use a chair or barbell where you place your hands). once you have these mastered you can move on to the standard pushup and then the more difficult variations.
What if its hard for me to do a pushup,,what shouldi Do.