- Target Muscle Group
- Exercise TypeStrength
- Equipment RequiredEZ Bar
- Force TypePush (Bilateral)
- Experience LevelBeginner
- Secondary Muscles
Close Grip EZ Bar Press Overview
The close grip EZ bar press is a tricep exercise and a variation of the close grip bench press.
One may prefer to perform the close grip EZ bar press over the barbell variation as the slight switch in hand placement can alleviate some wrist and elbow pain.
Close Grip EZ Bar Press Instructions
- Select your desired weight and sit on the edge of a flat bench.
- To get into position, lay back and keep the bar close to your chest using a neutral grip. Once you are supine, press the weight to lockout.
- Unlock the elbows and extend the shoulders to lower the weight to your chest.
- Once the bar touches your chest, reverse the movement by extending the elbows while flexing the triceps to lockout the weight.
- Repeat for the desired number of repetitions.
Close Grip EZ Bar Press Tips
- Don’t overextend through the lumbar spine as you lower the weight, keep some tension through the abdominals.
- Exhale as you extend the elbows and lockout the weight.
- Keep the head in a fairly neutral position, focus on a spot on the ceiling and complete all of the assigned repetitions.
- If you experience elbow pain during the movement, consider implementing a slight angle (incline or decline) or adjust elbow position (in versus out).