- Set up for the cable hip abduction by attaching an ankle strap (if one is not available, a single handle may suffice) to the low pulley of a cable pulley machine and set your desired weight on the stack.
- Attach the ankle strap to your left ankle and stand up straight with your feet close together with your right foot closest to the machine.
- You can use your right arm to hold onto the machine for stability. You are now in the staring position.
- Begin the movement by lifting your left leg straight out to your side as high as comfortably possible. This will lift the weight from the stack.
- Pause for a moment and then slowly lower your leg back to the starting position.
- Repeat for the desired amount of reps.
- Turn around, attach the the strap to your right ankle and then repeat with your right leg.
- Stand up straight and focus on moving only at the hip. Keep your torso as still as possible.
- You can eventually begin to increase the range of motion by standing further and further away from the machine. This will require a good deal of balance as you won't be able to hold onto the machine.