- Target Muscle Group
- Exercise TypeStrength
- Equipment RequiredCable
- Force TypePush
- Experience LevelBeginner
- Secondary Muscles
Target Muscle Group
Cable Crossovers (Upper Chest) Instructions
- Set up the cable machine for crossovers by adjusting the pulleys to the highest point possible on both sides and attaching single grip handles.
- Set your desired weight on the weight stacks and grasp each handle with your palms facing down.
- Take a step forward.
- With your arms slightly bent at the elbows, keep your chest up and your eyes facing forwards. This is the starting position for the exercise.
- Rotating at the shoulders only and moving your arms in a circular motion, slowly bring the handles together out in front of your body around head height.
- Squeeze your chest as you bring the handles together.
- Slowly lower the weight back to the starting position and then repeat for desired reps.
Cable Crossovers (Upper Chest) Tips
- Form is more important than the weight used in this exercise.
- Focus on getting a good chest squeeze on the way down, and a good stretch on the way up.
- Keep your elbows slightly bent throughout the movement, and do not change the angle of your arms.
Thank you for the dumbbell modification! I only have access to dumbbells so I’m always looking for those modifications!
What if you don’t have Excess to a cable machine
Hi, Henry. If you have access to a squat rack and bands, loop the bands into the top of the squat rack and try crossovers that way.
Otherwise, dumbbell flyes are a great choice as well.
These should be done a lot more often than crossing your arms down near your waist. High crossovers develop the upper chest muscle fibers while low crossovers develop the low chest fibers. Most men have under developed upper pecs and the over worked lower pecs giving them a "breast-like" appearance. Develop your upper chest mates!
dude thanks so much your comment was really the boost l was going for - l have been doing lower crossovers for years but never seen this one before until now and yeah they do look like man breasts - but not any more - gonna give it my 1000% Tomorrow thanks mate :)