- Target Muscle Group
- Exercise TypeStrength
- Equipment RequiredBarbell
- Force TypeN/A
- Experience LevelBeginner
- Secondary Muscles
Target Muscle Group
Barbell Side Bends Instructions
- Grab a light barbell and rest it across the back of your shoulders. Rest the bar on the muscle (traps), not your neck.
- Sit down on a flat bench with your feet at wider than shoulder width apart and your back straight.
- Slowly move the right side of the bar towards floor while keeping your back straight and your eyes looking forward. Stretch as far as possible.
- Slowly raise the bar back up and straight down to the left side (do not pause in the middle).
- Repeat for desired reps.
Side Bend Tips:
- Always keep your eyes facing forwards, so don't look down or to the side.
- This exercise works the obliques so try and focus on contraction and stretch of the obliques throughout the movement.
- This exercise can also be done while standing.