Barbell Hip Thrust Instructions
- Start in a supine position with your back on a bench and roll a barbell up to the crease of your hips.
- Drive both feet into the floor and squeeze your glutes while bridging your hips up.
- Lower your hips back to the starting position and repeat for the desired number of repetitions.
Barbell Hip Thrust Tips
- If just using your bodyweight, you can cross your arms in front of your chest or simply have them straight out to the sides. Utilize whichever method is more comfortable.
- Ensure that the lower back doesn’t arch as you extend the hip, you should focus on squeezing the glutes and slightly posteriorly tilting the pelvis.
- Ideally you should prioritize a straight line from your knees through your shoulders at the peak of contraction.
- Don’t allow the hips to drop or rotate as you bridge the hips up.
- Focus on exhaling as you bridge the hips up. You shouldn’t feel the movement through your lower back at all.
- If you can’t seem to feel your glutes activating, palpate the musculature with your hands and focus on pausing the movement at the peak of contraction.