- You will need a tri bar to complete the barbell hammer curl. A tri bar has handles running at 90 degrees to the bar, allowing you to grip the bar with a neutral grip.
- To set up for the barbell hammer curl get a tri bar, load on some weights and place it in front of you.
- Position your feet at around shoulder width apart and bend down to grasp the bar with a neutral grip.
- Standing straight up, and keeping your body fixed, slowly curl the bar up as far as possible.
- Squeeze the biceps at the top of the exercise, and then slowly lower the bar back to the starting position keeping tension on your biceps at all times.
- Repeat for desired reps.
- Do not lean back, or "throw" the weight up. Keep your body fixed and make your biceps do the work!
- Keep your elbows tucked in at your sides, and don't allow them to move forward when curling the weight.
- Always do the exercise slowly and control the weight throughout the movement.