Banded Multi Directional Toe Touch Overview
The banded multi directional toe touch is an exercise used to strengthen and build the muscles of the glutes.
One can use the banded multi directional toe touch as a warm up/activation exercise or as a glute isolation exercise on their glute/leg workout day.
Banded Multi Directional Toe Touch Instructions
- Begin in an athletic position with your knees bent, hips flexed, and eyes looking straight ahead. Wrap a band around your legs just above your knees.
- Shift your weight to one leg and reach forward, laterally, and backward with the other leg.
- Keep your shoulders and hip square and reach in all 3 directions with foot and tap the toe.
- Repeat for the desired number of repetitions both forwards and backwards.
Banded Multi Directional Toe Touch Tips
- Keep your weight centered over one leg until you complete all of the repetitions and then switch legs.
- Don’t allow your hips to posteriorly tilt (i.e. your zipper to tilt up towards your face) as you push your knees apart.
- Your upper body should be slightly tilted forward, your hip angle should be below 90 degrees.
- Don’t allow the band to pull the knee of the stabilizing leg in.
- If you can’t seem to feel your glutes activating, palpate the musculature with your hands and focus on pausing the movement at the peak of contraction.
- If you find one glute has less contractility than another, perform twice as much volume on that side relative to the other until you have established an efficient mind/muscle connection.