- Target Muscle Group
- Exercise TypeWarmup
- Equipment RequiredBodyweight
- Force TypeDynamic Stretching
- Experience LevelBeginner
- Secondary Muscles
Target Muscle Group
Arm Circles Overview
The arm circles warm up drill is a warm-up exercise used to dynamically stretch the shoulders.
Warming up adequately is an important part of any workout routine, and maintaining mobility can increase the overall effectiveness of certain exercises.
Arm Circles Instructions
- Stand in an upright position rotate the arms in a simultaneous clockwise or counterclockwise fashion.
- Start with small circles and slowly work your way into larger circles.
- Continue until the shoulders start to loosen up and blood flow increases.
- Repeat the process in the opposite direction.
Arm Circles Tips
- Ideally you want all of the movement to occur through the shoulder joint and not the spine. Limit spinal movement by keeping the core slightly braced.
- Alternate between faster speeds with small circles and then get slower as the circles get larger.