Anti-Gravity Press Overview
The anti-gravity press with ez bar is an exercise used to strengthen the muscles of the shoulder.
The exercise primarily works because you must fight gravity through the range of motion. This targets the rear delts extremely well and can be a great exercise selection when trying to work on shoulder stability.
Anti-Gravity Press Instructions
- Adjust an incline bench to roughly 45 degrees and lay down facing the pad.
- Reverse curl an EZ curl bar to your chest and press diagonally while keeping your chest and hips on the pad.
- Slowly lower the EZ bar back to the starting position but don’t allow the bar path to change due to the influence of gravity on the weight.
- Repeat for the desired number of repetitions.
Anti-Gravity Press Tips
- You probably won’t need much weight for this exercise given the setup and execution of the movement.
- Reach tall at the top and don’t worry about keeping the shoulders packed down and back.
- Keep momentum out of the movement and don’t add any additional leg drive by flexing and extending the knees.
- Squeeze your glutes and brace your abs as you press. You shouldn’t be leaning back excessively as you press.
- If your shoulders are bothering you during the movement, consider experimenting with a wider grip or utilizing some of the vertical pressing progressions listed on the site.
- Don’t allow the lower back to arch as you press overhead.