- Target Muscle Group
- Exercise TypeStrength
- Equipment RequiredDumbbell
- Force TypePull
- Experience LevelBeginner
- Secondary Muscles
Target Muscle Group
Alternating Seated Hammer Curl Instructions
- Set up for the alternating seated hammer curl by grabbing a flat bench or adjustable bench and placing a set of dumbbells at one end. If you're using an adjustable bench, adjust the back to a 90-degree angle.
- Sit on the end of the bench with your feet out in front of you and your knees together.
- Pick the dumbbells up off the floor and let them hang by your sides with a neutral grip. Bend the arms slightly to keep tension on the biceps. This is the starting position for the exercise.
- With your back straight and your elbows tucked in at your sides, slowly curl the dumbbell up with one arm.
- Squeeze the bicep hard, and then slowly lower the dumbbell back to the starting position.
- Repeat this for your other arm, and then repeat for desired reps.
Alternating Seated Hammer Curl Tips
- Keep tension in the biceps the whole time.
- Do not swing the shoulders back as you curl the dumbbell up.