- Target Muscle Group
- Exercise TypeStrength
- Equipment RequiredDumbbell
- Force TypePull
- Experience LevelBeginner
- Secondary Muscles
Target Muscle Group
Alternate Seated Hammer Curl Instructions
- Set up for the alternate seated hammer curl by grabbing a flat bench or adjustable bench and placing a set of dumbbells at one end. If you're using an adjustable bench, adjust the back to a 90 degree angle.
- Sit on the end of the bench with your feet out in front of you and your knees together.
- Pick up the dumbbells from the floor and let them hang by your sides with your palms facing your body (neutral grip).
- Bend the arms slightly to take the tension up in the biceps. This is the starting position for the exercise.
- Keeping your back straight and your elbows tucked in at your sides, slowly curl up the dumbbell in your weakest arm (this is usually your left) up as far as possible.
- Squeeze the bicep hard, and then slowly lower the dumbbell back to the starting position.
- Repeat this for your other arm, and then repeat for desired reps.
Hammer Curl Tips:
- You need to keep the tension on both biceps for the whole set. Do not let the arm that is not curling the weight hang down, but keep it slightly bent.
- Do not swing the shoulders back as you curl the dumbbell up.