- Target Muscle Group
- Exercise TypeStrength
- Equipment RequiredDumbbell
- Force TypePush
- Experience LevelIntermediate
- Secondary Muscles
Target Muscle Group
Alternate Seated Arnold Press Instructions
- Set up for the exercise by getting an adjustable angle bench and setting the back to 90 degrees.
- Grasp a pair of dumbbells and sit down on the bench with the ends of the dumbbells on your thighs.
- Use your thighs to help you raise the dumbbells to shoulder height on each side, and twist so that your palms are facing your body. The dumbbells should now be positioned directly in front of your shoulders.
- Your back should be flat against the back rest and your feet firmly planted on the floor for stability. This is the starting position for the exercise.
- Keeping your eyes facing forwards, slowly raise the dumbbell in your left hand above your head while turning your wrist so that your palm is now facing forward (away from your body).
- Keep raising the weight until your arm is almost fully extended.
- Do not pause at the top of the movement, and immediately begin lowering the dumbbell back down to the starting position - twisting at the wrist until your palm is facing your body once again.
- Repeat this movement immediately with your right arm, and then repeat for desired reps.
- Always use a full range of motion and control the dumbbells throughout the set.
- This exercise can be performed while sitting on the end of a flat bench, but a back rest is preferred - especially for those with lower back problems.