Alternate Incline Dumbbell Flys Instructions
- Alternate incline dumbbell flys hit the upper part of the pectoral muscles. Setup for alternate incline dumbbell flys by setting an incline bench to an angle of around 30-45 degrees.
- Grasp a set of dumbbells and sit on the end of the incline bench with the dumbbells resting on your thighs.
- Lay back on the bench and extend your arms up, holding the dumbbells with a neutral grip (palms facing each other). The dumbbells should not be touching. Keep your feet planted on the floor for balance.
- Bend your arms slightly. This is the starting position for the exercise.
- Slowly lower your left arm out to your side following the path of a semi circle while keeping your right arm fixed.
- Once the dumbbell gets about level with your chest, squeeze the chest muscle and raise the dumbbell back up using the same path of motion (semi circle) as you did on the way down.
- Now repeat the same on your right arm.
- Repeat for desired reps.
Alternate Incline Dumbbell Tips:
- Always start the set with the weakest side of your body, in most cases this will be the left.
- The exercise is all about stretch and contraction, not moving heavy weights. You are better off using a light weight and getting the technique right, with good mind-muscle connection.
- All movement occurs at the shoulder joint and at the wrist - not at your elbow joints.