- Target Muscle Group
- Exercise TypeStrength
- Equipment RequiredDumbbell
- Force TypePull
- Experience LevelBeginner
- Secondary Muscles
Target Muscle Group
Alternate Dumbbell Lateral Raise Instructions
- Grab two dumbbells and stand up straight with your feet and knees together holding the dumbbells down at your sides with palms facing in.
- Hold the dumbbells out at around 4 inches from your body. This is the starting position for the exercise.
- Keeping your body still, eyes facing forward, and arms straight, slowly raise the left dumbbell up to around shoulder height.
- Pause, and then slowly lower the dumbbell back to starting position.
- Repeat on the right arm. This is one rep.
- Repeat for the desired rep range.
- It's very important that your hand does not go higher than your elbow. To prevent this from happening, as you raise the dumbbell up, tilt it forward as if you were pouring a jug of water.
- Always do this exercise slowly.
- It's an isolation exercise and the focus should be on working the muscle correctly - not moving as much weight as you can.
- Don't bring your arms up too high. Up to shoulder height is far enough.