100 Rep Hell: A Shocker Muscle Building Workout

100 Rep Hell: A Shocker Muscle Building Workout

Need a change? You’ve come to the right workout. This one week shocker is meant to break through the boredom and monotony, and beat your body into growth.

Workout Summary

Main Goal:
Build Muscle
Workout Type:
Split
Training Level:
Intermediate
Days Per Week:
Equipment Required:
Barbell, EZ Bar, Machines
Target Gender:
Male & Female
Author:
Recommended supplements for this workout:
  1. BCAAs (recovery)
  2. Whey Protein
  3. Creatine Monohydrate
  4. EFAs

Workout Description

Need a change? You've come to the right workout. This one week shocker is meant to break through the boredom and monotony, and beat your body into growth.

This will not be an easy week of training. You will be sore as hell, and a few days in you might be tempted to quit altogether. Stock with it. It will be worth it.

100 Rep Hell Workout Notes

This muscle building workout is a great choice for lazy, long weeks when you don't have much on your schedule. There are 3 things you need to do to help maximize this week of brutality:

1. Sleep. Sleep, sleep and sleep some more. When you're not sleeping, rest. Sit on your butt and watch a movie.
  2. Eat. Eat, eat and eat some more. When you're not eating, rest and plan your next high calorie meal. Aim for 4000+ calories per day, minimum. No excuses! Your body will need the fuel. Trust me.
  3. Drink water. Drink water, and then drink more. Pound the water, or better yet - pound whole milk.

Reps and Sets

You will be performing 100 reps per exercise. There is no specific set and rep schemes. You want to perform 100 total reps, resting as often as you need to get there. Keep the rest periods short and sweet.

Catch your breath, regain your composure, and then knock out a few more reps. Depending on the exercise, 100 reps might take you 20 minutes or 45 minutes. Do not add anything to these workouts. Doing so is foolish.

The 100 Rep Hell Workout Program

Working Weights. Use the following weights for each of the listed exercises:

100 Rep Hell Workout Routine
Exercises & Weight Used
Exercise Description
Deadlift 50% of your one rep max.
Seated Calf Raise Use a weight that would normally allow you to perform about 12-15 reps per set.
Bench Press 50% of your one rep max.
Skullcrushers Use a weight that would normally allow you to perform about 12-15 reps per set.
Barbell Rows 50% of your one rep max.
Barbell Curls Use a weight that would normally allow you to perform about 12-15 reps per set.
Seated Overhead Press 50% of your one rep max.
Barbell Shrugs Use a weight that would normally allow you to perform about 12-15 reps per set.
Squats 50% of your one rep max.
Leg Curls Use a weight that would normally allow you to perform about 12-15 reps per set.

Related Workouts View all Muscle Building Workouts

Steve is a powerlifter who has also spent 20 years training in bodybuilding. He is a national level competitor training for an all-time over 50 raw world record.
Quest Bar

High Protein, Low In Non-Fiber Carbs & No Sugar Alcohols!

4.8
Assault

Assault Helps You to Lift More and Train Harder for Longer!

3.8

Patti Wantstobe...
Posted Mon, 02/18/2013 - 17:24

This sounds awesome!!! A must try.

Jordan
Posted Mon, 02/18/2013 - 17:53

Tried something similar to this last night, but did an upper body blast with 50 reps of each, and that was absolutely insane! Feeling it today. Definitely recommend trying something like this to mix it up.

Zach C.
Posted Mon, 02/18/2013 - 18:11

This sounds like my muscles will be ruthlessly taxed by the end of the week. Looking forward to giving this a shot after doing two months of the Strength and Density 4 Day Split.

Sang K
Posted Mon, 02/18/2013 - 19:51

Hey Steve,

I am confused on both this and your Power,Muscle, Burn programs. I understand the whole power and muscle sets, but why do you have the set of 40 on burn, and now the 100 rep program? Are you suggesting this program for a alternate endurance building set specifically for muscle confusion or what?

Posted Mon, 02/18/2013 - 22:34

Volume training tends to yield very promising results, but is so intense that it shouldn't be run without breaks.

John E.
Posted Mon, 02/18/2013 - 20:15

Looks like a winner. Any suggestions for subbing in oly lifts?

Posted Mon, 02/18/2013 - 22:30

Just keep then very low rep so you can keep form manageable.

Jonathan
Posted Fri, 08/02/2013 - 08:19

Oly you dont want to do reps more than 3-5. Chip away maybe 3 reps with 30 second rest between each set should do it. Oly lifts is about power, if your going to do them for volume, still do short reps so that you maintain the power and dont lose your existing gains

Chris
Posted Mon, 02/18/2013 - 23:14

100 reps. Total or 100 per exercise?

Ryan
Posted Wed, 02/20/2013 - 05:03

Per exercise

Chris
Posted Mon, 02/18/2013 - 23:16

Nevermind, I over looked the answer to my question.

flyguy
Posted Wed, 02/20/2013 - 04:15

I've tried this workout, did not see size gain but instead felt totally dehydrated and exhausted muscles felt decreasing mass as if I'm cutting so I will rather go between 8-10 rep range on 3-4 sets pyramid training feel much better abd see more results and gain more size.

Ghost
Posted Sat, 04/27/2013 - 15:37

You didn't follow his guides then, you did not eat enough and drink. I felt fine with good amount of intake.

Ryan
Posted Wed, 02/20/2013 - 05:07

Can't wait to give this a go!

irving
Posted Wed, 02/20/2013 - 12:54

must try im excited !!

simon
Posted Wed, 02/20/2013 - 13:30

Hey Steve thanks for that.. i started today and i must say it was a lot harder than i thought it would have been. thing is tendonitis 2 months later wont let me train chest n shoulders. any tips would be highly appreciated.

thanks

Jonathan
Posted Fri, 08/02/2013 - 08:19

Tendonidis is from having too tight muscles pulling on your ligaments usually. So work on mobility, stretch, daily.

Maik Wiedenbach
Posted Wed, 02/20/2013 - 13:50

we used to train like this 4 weeks out of the year.....horrible memories:)

Mark
Posted Wed, 02/20/2013 - 21:52

This working hurts, in a good way, just finished up the deadlifts and calve raises whewww wow

Dimitri
Posted Fri, 02/22/2013 - 05:35

So for how many weeks should I do this? Or is it a one week thing and that's it?

Joey's picture
Joey
Posted Fri, 02/22/2013 - 11:38

One week ONLY! You can take a break from your current routine and throw this in the mix.

Dimitri
Posted Sat, 02/23/2013 - 21:06

Thanks Joey....should of read it from the start instead of jumping right into routine part...lol

panos
Posted Sun, 02/24/2013 - 11:19

how often should we repeat this workout? Once a month is ok? By the way, hell of a job guys thanks for everything....

Aaron
Posted Mon, 02/25/2013 - 06:05

So you do this for 2 months? dang, ill be ripped!

yitmy
Posted Fri, 03/01/2013 - 09:01

My only question is doesn't this border on overtraining?

Jonathan
Posted Fri, 08/02/2013 - 08:23

If you understand physiology you will realise this is not overtraining because he isnt telling you to do this every day, overtraining is lack of rest, too much training and not enough nutrition. If you do this and get enough rest and nutrition then how can you overtrain

Fernando
Posted Thu, 03/07/2013 - 21:37

this sounds good im gonna try it out later.

Fernando
Posted Thu, 03/07/2013 - 21:37

one question. how many times in a month should I try this?

Darren
Posted Wed, 03/20/2013 - 18:34

I got amazing results from this, yet again Steve you have brought me to the next level. There were definitely some humbling moments though, like bench press....But my body is really used to training (thank goodness) and i'm seeing some great changes and even better feeling again the changes i have been craving. Keep it up!!

Nate Jewell
Posted Thu, 03/21/2013 - 10:52

Steve, will this workout help gain size? With so many reps at relatively low weight, I feel like this would just help with muscular endurance as opposed to building muscle. I'm looking for a new program now and am open to many different suggestions.

Joey's picture
Joey
Posted Thu, 03/21/2013 - 12:40

This is great for building muscle but you should NOT look to it to be your new routine. This is not meant to be done week after week -- rather, you can throw it in to your current routine now and again. I wouldn't do it more than once every few months.

chaz
Posted Sat, 03/23/2013 - 09:48

im 140 lbs 5 '6 and iv been doing this work out for 2 weeks now
im seeing more tone and a little size gain
if i keep this as my every day routine would that be good for me?
i also run 3 miles a day 5 times out of the week.

Ivan
Posted Mon, 03/25/2013 - 08:28

how should we perform 100 reps using weight that would normally allow us to perform 12-15 reps?! should I take a one minute rest or something between every 20 or 50 reps?

Erik
Posted Mon, 03/25/2013 - 20:34

Sounds great, but do have any recommendations for a substitute for squat and deadlift? i had surgery about 2 months ago on my back and well, no pressure on the lower back

Jonathan Clark
Posted Mon, 04/22/2013 - 21:28

Hey Steve,
I'm 15 and weigh100 even and I'm 5'6, do you think this would help me build some more muscle and gain some weight?

Jonathan Clark
Posted Mon, 04/22/2013 - 21:33

Anyone got some tips for me to build some muscle? I have an 8 pack, I can only curl 25lb, can only bench 70 max 1 rep, and can't do much else. I have a nice weight set but can't use it it's in storage, but have access to some fumbles and a barbell ( with weight plates)

Ray J.
Posted Fri, 04/26/2013 - 03:32

Okay, I don't mean to insult or offend anyone...but seriously people.... READ! You dumba**es ;)
Scrolling through this post i've seen as much as 8 people saying that they either make this their full routine or they try this on a regular basis.

THIS WORKOUT IS A ONE TIME ONLY !!!!!!!!!!

Meaning you should only throw this is once every so often. Maybe as little as once every 3 months.
Maybe during a holiday or something. It's designed and intended to function as a shocker. To be used to throw your body off and cause it to perform out of the usual routine and the usual habits.

This workout is NOT a routine workout ! Please. READ.

britton mooney
Posted Thu, 05/23/2013 - 17:19

this is a great workout just finished and it is not for the weak minded u will have to stay focused and push through your breaking point.there is no reason why you can not do this unless u are a person who can except failure which i can not so push through and bask in the glory of success

Jim
Posted Fri, 06/14/2013 - 20:16

Can you change the exercise given to another alternative same muscle exercise? If let say you do not have barbell at home?

Ricky
Posted Sat, 06/22/2013 - 19:10

Hey Steve,

I have searched through plenty of the workouts on here, and just wondered if you could recommend what is best for me.
I am only 5' 5", 67kg, with about 9.5% body fat. I have very hard muscles, and a good 6 pack - My eating is very good and i hit the gym between 4-6 times per week, Pound for pound im pretty strong; push 112.5kg flat bench 1RM, and tend to rep 105kgs on 4-6reps.
I am about to send pictures to try and get in a magizine, and want to get that extra bit more ripped. Im fine with my size, I dont need to add more muscle, and I dont need to lose weight. If either happens thats fine. But my goal is to get as ripped as possible, so perhaps losing 1-2% of body fat.
Firstly, can I get closer towards my taget in 3 weeks? (thats when I have to get my pictures into the magizine by), and secondly, which routine would you recommend I use? Im currently using 'dougs 5 day high definition routine' but wanted to see if there was anything better for my goals.
The only supplements I am using is kre-alacline creatine (i think thats the name-its not the monohydrate one, as I dont want any water retention) and USN pure protein igf-1. My diet is very good, although I'm never really sure how much carbs/protein i should be taking per day, but I eat either oats with almond milk in morning, or eggs on wholegrain. A protein shake striaght after workout (with creatine capsules before and after) followed by a meal, with either chicken, sweet potato, plenty of veg, avocado, and snack on nuts or tuna sandwich between dinner, eating every 2-3hours (occasionally a peice of fruit, but this tends to be pre workout) and then dinner, either chicken/turkey/fish, with veg, wholemeal pasta/or brown rice, with just olive oil as dressings. and before go to bed, sometimes bowl of cerial with almond milk and a protien shake (mine has cassien protein in)...

Sorry such a long post, but when i see you replying to others, you always ask for more info.. so thought i'd give you lots of info!

Looking forward to hearing back from you.

Ricky.

Monika
Posted Mon, 07/15/2013 - 10:27

Hi Steve

I work out everyday, I eat clean every 3 hrs 6 times a day. I am 5' 3" 120 lbs and 19% bf.
I have very hard time putting on muscle. What can you advice ?

Monika

Graham Mann
Posted Sat, 07/20/2013 - 18:26

I cannot do the full programme because of other commitments so I have made an adaptation of it as follows and would like some expert advice on my choice thanks.

Monday. Bench press and barbell curl.

Tuesday. circuit training.

Wednesday. Wide grip pull ups (100 omg think I might die) tricep press (I cannot do skull crushers due to an old break in my arm)

Thursday. Circuit training.

Friday. Barbell shoulder press and shrugs.

I also run 3 times a week.

Since im not doing the 5 days a week version what would the recommended calorie intake be? and protein carb ratio. Thanks for any and all help.

Bonerchild
Posted Tue, 07/30/2013 - 22:36

Whatever dude

brandon mink
Posted Wed, 07/31/2013 - 07:08

so should I shoot for 100 reps without resting or should I go 25to 30 short rest then 25-30 short rest

RoriePaul
Posted Thu, 08/01/2013 - 08:54

I might have missed this, but what is the goal for this type of workout? I'm looking for a quick change from two months of strength and mass building.

Jonathan
Posted Fri, 08/02/2013 - 08:15

LOL how I train now anyway. Leg day (10x10 1 min rest between sets at 60-65% max) for example. Volume training is epic. 50% of your 1rm is too light imo.

John Oilver
Posted Mon, 08/05/2013 - 08:34

Thanks Steve, trying this today.

I recently changed my diet .. for the better.. and have seen pretty good improvements doing 12 weeks of a 5-day split. ( chest/back/shoulders/legs/arms/rest/rest ) I was going to try mix it up a little bit since my progress has slowed over the last month.

What would you say to using this set-up for a week then going on a 10 weeks course of 5x5 lifting?

198lbs - 6ft - low bodyfat. 1rm bench - 125kg, 1rm dead - 170kg, 1rm squat 140kg.

Thanks!
John

nik
Posted Fri, 08/23/2013 - 13:26

I started to do this last week just to change it up a bit, but keep in mind, or at least case with me, you wont be doing 4-5 exercises per body part like you are used to, i did 3 for legs and 2 for chest and i was totally spent, its a good muscle shocker, leave your ego outside of the gym and give it a try

marco
Posted Wed, 09/04/2013 - 13:06

Hi steve what are your meal plans for this workout ?

TDawg119
Posted Tue, 10/01/2013 - 10:47

So far I've done two days of this training method, doing 6 exercises were muscle group each day. First day chest and second day legs. Sore and worn out only begins to describe my state. Today is day 3, going for shoulders, and finish up tomorrow with back. Chest and Legs are still feeling engorged even with a day off yesterday. Feeling AWESOME!!!!!