Seated Barbell Press Video Guide3.7 5 11
- Sit down on a military press bench or adjust an adjustable angle bench, setting the back to 90 degrees.
- Load a barbell with the appropriate weight. Ideally, you can un-rack the weight from a weight rack or have a training partner hand you the bar.
- Hold the bar with an overhand grip (palms facing forward) with your hands just beyond shoulder width. Your arms will now be almost fully extended above your head with a slight bend in your elbows. This is the starting position.
- Slowly begin lowering the bar to your upper chest - almost touching your collarbone.
- Pause, and then begin pushing the bar back up to the starting position.
- Repeat for desired reps.
Shoulder Press Tips:
- Keep your back straight throughout the movement. Don't let it arc too much when pressing the weight.
- Use slow and controlled movement, both when pressing and when lowering the weight.
- Use a full range of motion by lowering the bar as far as possible, and raising all the way up without locking your elbows out at the top of the movement.
- Don't "rest" with the weight on your chest during the set!