Dumbbell Upright Row Video Guide3.7 5 24
- Biceps, Shoulders
- The dumbbell upright row is one of the best exercises for building the upper traps and shoulders. Choose a pair of dumbbells and stand with your feet at around shoulder width apart.
- Grasp the dumbbells with an overhand grip (palms facing down) and place them on your thighs. Your hands should be just inside shoulder width apart and there should be a slight bend in your elbows.
- Keeping your back straight and eyes facing forwards, lift the dumbbells straight up while keeping them as close to your body as possible (you should pull the dumbbells up to around chest height- nearly touching your chin).
- Pause, and then slowly lower the dumbbells back to the starting position.
- Repeat for desired reps.
- Focus on keeping your elbows higher than your forearms. The elbows push the motion.
- Keep your body fixed throughout the set. Don't lean forward as you lower the dumbbells, and back as you raise them. Movement of the body makes the upright row easier, and you will not get the most out of it.
- Pause and squeeze the traps at the top of the movement, and then lower the dumbbells really slowly if you want to add a bit of intensity to the exercise.