Barbell Step Ups Video Guide5 5 4
- Calves, Glutes, Hamstrings
- Load the appropriate amount of weight onto a barbell and position the bar so that it is resting on the muscles on the top of your back, not on the back of your neck. The bar should feel comfortable. If it doesn't, try adding some padding to the bar.
- Now take your hands over the back and grip the bar with a wide grip for stability.
- Stand in front of a flat bench or any other elevated platform with your feet just inside shoulder width.
- Keep your eyes facing forward and a slight bend in your knees. This is the starting position.
- Lift your left knee and step onto the platform with your left foot.
- Once your foot is firmly planted on the platform, use your left heel to lift your body up and place your right foot on the platform as well.
- Pause briefly and then step back with your right leg and carefully return to the starting position.
- Repeat this motion for desired reps and then repeat while leading with your right foot.
- This exercise requires a good deal of balance and is not recommended for those with balance issues. When starting out use little to no weight to first perfect the motion.
- Keep your head up and back straight throughout the exercise. Never allow your back to round.
- Add intensity and difficulty by raising the platform. The higher the platform, the more intense the exercise.