Cable Shrug Video Guide4.5 5 6
- Set up for the cable shrug by attaching a straight bar to a low pulley cable machine.
- Select the amount of weight on the stack and stand facing the machine with your feet about shoulder width apart.
- Grasp the bar with an overhand grip (palms facing behind you), with your hands about shoulder width apart.
- Keeping the bar close to your body, let your shoulders "sag" as far as possible. This is the starting position for the exercise.
- Slowly shrug your shoulders up as far as possible.
- Pause, and then slowly lower the weight back to the starting position.
- Repeat for desired reps.
- Focus on lifting the weight with your traps and not your biceps.
- Pausing at the top of the cable shrug makes the exercise more challenging and you'll get more out of it. Try and pause for a count of 1-3 at the top of each rep.
- There's no benefit to roll your shoulders forward or back when you shrug - that's a myth!
- Just raise the bar straight up and straight down.