Seated Alternate Dumbbell Lateral Raise Instructions
- Grab a pair of dumbbells and sit up straight with your feet around shoulder width apart on the edge of a flat bench.
- Hold the dumbbells down by your sides with your palms facing in. Hold the dumbbells out at around 4 inches from your body. This is the starting position for the exercise.
- Keeping your body still, eyes facing forward, with a slight bend in you arm, slowly raise the left dumbbell up to around shoulder height.
- Pause, and then slowly lower the dumbbell back to starting position.
- Repeat this movement with your right arm. This is one rep.
- Repeat for desired reps.
- It's very important that your hand does not go higher than your elbow. To prevent this from happening, as you raise the dumbbell up, tilt it forward as if you were pouring a jug of water.
- Always do this exercise slowly. It's an isolation exercise and the focus should be on working the muscle correctly - not moving as much weight as you can.
- Don't bring your arms up too high - up to shoulder height is far enough.