Body Transformation: Michael Lee Dropped Body Fat & Looks Shredded!

Frustrated by a recent photo, Michael completely turned his life around in only 10 short months using a healthy diet, running and weight training.

Before Stats

• September 2nd, 2010
  • 22%
  • 232 lbs
  • 5'11"

After Stats

• June 11th, 2011
  • 12%
  • 185 lbs
  • 5'11"

Lifestyle Prior To Change

What was your lifestyle prior to your transformation?

Prior to the start of my transformation, I consumed way too much unhealthy food (fast food specifically) and hardly participated in any fitness-related activities. Prior to the start of my, I lived in MI. In July, 2010, I moved to Colorado.

The pivotal moment when I knew I had to change my lifestyle was when I took a picture at a water park. With one look at that picture, I instantly knew I had to become healthier.

Michael LeeWhat was your low point or turning point?

My lowest point was looking at that picture from the water park. As a Army veteran, I knew the importance of good health, how to get there and how to stay there. I was disappointed that I let myself drift that far from good health. From September 2, 2010 and beyond, I was determined to transform my body into an image of health and fitness.

Were there any unique challenges or circumstances that made your transformation particularly difficult?

Yes, I had several challenges and circumstances that I had to overcome. In September 2010, I had just moved to a new state, CO, started a new job, was attending college courses and was maintaining family life (I am a Husband and the Father of three small children). I also had a few health issues that I was/still am battling (asthma & a surgically repaired knee). I was able to manage all of these issues and still reach my transformation goals.

What was your transformation timeline?

• Transformation Start: September 2, 2010, Weighed 232 lbs.
  • Milestone: October 2, 2010 - Weighed 212 lbs.
  • Milestone: November 2, 2010, Weighed 206 lbs.
  • Milestone: January 2, 2011, Weighed 200 lbs.
  • Milestone: June 13, 2011, Weighed 185 lbs.
  • Transformation End: June 20, 2011.

Michael's Training And Cardio Approach

What was your weight training approach and split during your transformation?

Initially I wanted to lose 30 lbs of fat through running. After I lost my first 30lbs, I then began to incorporate weight lifting into my workout plan, which helped to tone my body rather quickly. I primarily ran several times per week from Sept 2010 - Dec 2010.  I started lifting weights (while still running) from Jan 2011 - Jun 2011.

Monday - Chest, Shoulders, Triceps & Abs
French Press 4 15
Planks 4 15
Friday - Back and Biceps
Exercise Sets Reps
Rope Cable Curl 4 10
Lat Pull Down 4 15

Michael LeePlease detail your cardio approach during your transformation?

Since my Army days, I’ve always enjoyed running. I believe that running is one of the most beneficial forms of exercise one can participate in.  When I run, I mix slow-long-distance, spiriting and hill runs.

Please list 3 things you learned about exercise, weight training and/or cardio during your transformation that helped you succeed:

1. There’s no need to go on a crash diet. Slowly change your eating habits from unhealthy to healthy.
  2. Resist the temptation of overworking your body. Take incremental steps in order to reach your fitness goals.
  3. Document your progress. This includes documenting your weight, body measurements, how much you can lift, running times/distances. As you consistently work at it, you’ll find yourself reaching all of your fitness goals.

How are you currently training, and has your training changed since the completion of your transformation?

My approach has not changed. I still try to run at least 10-15 miles per week, eat around 2000 calories per day, and lift weights 4 times per week.

Michael's Diet And Nutrition Approach

Can you provide us with a sample eating plan (please be specific):

I was easily consuming over 3000 calories per day prior to the beginning of my transformation. Instead of totally abandoning my eating habits, I instead opted to consume more fiber-based foods and less high fat food. I did not totally change my way of eating, I just incrementally started to cut back on food that I knew was unhealthy for me. Months later, I was eating healthy salads, protein shakes, fresh fruit, fiber bars and similar healthy foods.

Here are two samples of my daily meal plan:

• Breakfast - 2 Boiled Eggs/Bowl of Oatmeal
  • Lunch - Chicken Salad/Protein Shake
  • Snack - Fiber Bar/Nuts or Trail Mix
  • Dinner - Baked Chicken, Mixed Vegetables, Brown Rice
  • Breakfast - Whole Wheat Toast/Scrabbled Eggs
  • Lunch - Fresh Fruit/Chicken Wrap
  • Snack - Banana/Fiber Bar
  • Dinner - Black Beans, Tuna, Steam Veggies/Protein Shake

Michael Lee

Were there any diet/nutrition mistakes you made that you learned from?

For a couple of weeks, near the beginning of my transformation, I completely cut out nearly all carbs (both good and bad carbs) and consumed 85% protein. That factor zapped my energy, and I quickly found  that eating healthy, whole-grained based carbs/food gave me a more balanced approach to my nutrition, plus more energy.

Please list 3 things you learned about diet & nutrition during your transformation that helped you succeed:

1. Consume at least 60+ ounces of water each day.
  2. If you must eat at a restaurant, eat half of the meal there and save the rest for lunch or dinner.
  3. Prepare your meals on the weekend and pack your lunch for the week. Have a balanced mix protein and carb-based foods (fruits, veggies, whole grain).

Did you allow yourself cheat meals?

Although I did cheat (by continuing to consume the snacks that I liked), I consumed them in moderation. I slowly cut back on unhealthy foods and replaced unhealthy snacks with fruit, veggies and nuts.

What supplements did you use during your transformation?

During my transformation, I used whey protein, protein bars, multivitamins and caffeine-based energy supplements.

Advice For Others

Michael LeeWhat are your best tips for someone looking to make their own transformation?

1. Go to the doctor, get a annual checkup, and make sure you get a good idea your current picture of health.
  2. Start slow. No need to kill yourself in the beginning of your fitness journey.
  3. Watch your caloric intake. Unless you're Michael Phelps or you have time to exercise all day, it’s extremely hard to overcome a poor diet/overeating. I used a free app on my phone to track my calories, food intake and exercise.

How do you stay motivated? What advice would you give to someone who’s having trouble staying on track?

I stay motivated because I continually monitored my fitness stats (weight, waistline, muscle tone) and was able to continually see results.  I was blessed to reach my total fitness goals in 10 months. I pushed my body to the limit and I found great enjoyment in seeing results.

More From Michael Lee

What is your life like now that you’ve made a transformation?

My life is wonderful. I am an avid 5k-10k runner (I have participated in several races in this year). Running is so liberating to me.

I also am helping many of my family and friends become healthier though sharing my fitness journey and helpful tips.

What motivates you currently to keep improving yourself?

Reading stories of other people who turned their health and fitness around keeps me motivated. My family keeps me motivated as well. They have attended all of my races, and they also go with me to the gym. I plan to be at all the great moments in their lives of my family and what better way to ensure that than to be physically fit.

Anything else you would like to share?

Progress is positive, no matter how small it may seem. My best advice to anyone is to continue to challenge one’s self, keep working hard, document your fitness journey and take time celebrate your fitness success.

How can people contact you?

I can be reached at:

5 STARS
102 VOTES

185 Comments+ Post Comment

Posted Fri, 08/22/2014 - 19:02
Christian

Hi Michael,
First and foremost, I would like to say, your transformation is a true inspiration. I have also lost weight, starting from 220 to 189, and I want to get toned. I would like to know if you incorporate leg workouts into your routine or you just substitute it with running? Also, are the workouts listed above, all the workouts you did for your transformation?

Christian

Posted Sat, 08/09/2014 - 02:31
Yogarn

no legs

Posted Fri, 08/08/2014 - 12:25
Conner

Michael, when you were only running, before December, what kind of intervals did you start out with, and how did you progress so quickly?

Posted Sat, 08/09/2014 - 21:45
Michael

Hi Conner - I liked to doing 800 Meter Sprints ( the size of a high school track). I'd sprint around the track, then rest for one minute. I usually did between 10-20 rounds of sprints.

Posted Sat, 05/10/2014 - 11:03
Ahmed Zaben

Hello michael

you said ( I used whey protein, protein bars, multivitamins and caffeine-based energy supplements ) thats it ? or we can use other supplement ?

Posted Sun, 04/20/2014 - 04:50
amit j

how to time management for this workout

Posted Sat, 06/21/2014 - 10:01
Mike

I approach my weekly workouts by body part. For example, Mon-Chest/Back, Tues-Arm/Shoulders, etc.. I see how much time I have and plan around that time.

-Mike Lee, 5fitrules.com

Posted Mon, 01/20/2014 - 06:49
colin

awesome effort this inspires me and tells me it is not impossible - I weigh less than you did at your heaviest but I have a belly I have always hated since I was 16 I used to be fit and strong I am 37 now I gave up all the bad things in life and want to make it better I have started on my journey about six months ago but slow progress but suddenly it is getting reachable - I have just changed my diet to better things cut out the sugar I do regular cardio drink heaps of water eat well live well work my fitness level - hope to see results anywhere near as good as you I would be a happy man !!! thanks for the inspiration to continue I was going to anyway - nothing will stop me

Posted Thu, 04/03/2014 - 21:50
Mike

I believe in you bro. You are going to make it happen. Stay positive and stick with it!

Posted Wed, 01/08/2014 - 05:56
Balaji

Hi Michael
Happy New Year!
I was weighing 227lbs an year ago. I started with cardio and weight training, lost around 24lbs in six- eight months. Though i have lost 4inch around my waist, i am currently stuck with the same weight. Though i am shaping up a lot now, i dont seem to shed anymore weight. In fact i have added around 5lbs in last two months. But i must admit that i dont follow your diet but i have given up on all junk foods an year ago. And i dont take any supplements. Would you pls let me know what i am doing wrong.

Regards,
Balaji

Posted Sat, 06/21/2014 - 10:02
Mike

Tell me your weekly workout schedule (cardio and weight training).

Posted Wed, 11/27/2013 - 16:24
DAVID TUCKER

Bro Mike,

great life change! I need help with losing those things on my sides called skin handles. They are holding me back bro.Also, I need to get rid of my big gut. Can you guide me through this and contact me? I really need some assistance. As someone who used to be in shape, I really let myself go over the past 2 years.

mrdivanyc@gmail.com

Thanks,
Dave

Posted Wed, 11/06/2013 - 13:11
Afi

Hi Michael,

Would like to know during workout days i.e on Monday's and Friday's running should be before workouts or after workouts.

Afi

Posted Tue, 10/08/2013 - 02:42
prajith

Hi mich,

Your awesome man :)
Big fan of ya...

Can i know how to reduce skin fat and have a cut and ripped body ?

Posted Wed, 09/18/2013 - 11:34
Eric

Michael

Congrats on your Transformation first off......Hell of a Job!!!! After reading your transformation story I really got motivated again. So here is the deal Michael, I'm 28yr 5"11 230lbs so you could imagine how excited I was to finally find someone with the same specs as myself. I've been researching all over for at least a month trying to find what workouts/nutrition guide/supplements anything I can use to start a transformation workout. My goal is to get lean and ripped!!! Shred all my body fat and get down to a good weight which I believe is around 185/190 but you might have your own opinion of what my goal weight should be, I'm not really sure what I should be at? No one ever answers these questions so I hope you can do that for me….

In Feb. of this year I started that Insanity workout didn't really lose that much weight but could def. tell that I felt better and had more energy throughout the day. In the first month I lost 3in off my waist and was happy. I started running about 2 miles a day because watching the TV everyday was getting very boring and uninteresting. Then I tore my hamstring very bad and was out for about month and half. So as you can tell I’m back healthy and just got a new IT job and ready to get back working out and transform myself. So I guess my first question is before I get back in the gym and lift anything should I in your opinion do cardio for another month or month in half first before lifting any type of weights? Then after I get into shape as far as cardio shape, start a gym routine? Thanks again look forward to hearing from you. Also continue on your journey to a fit and healthy life!!!!!

Eric

Posted Tue, 09/03/2013 - 10:34
Gordon

Hi, great story mate, proof that it can be done!

I have a question about injurys, I play a lot of football (soccer to you!) and find myself picking up a lot of niggling small injurys that prevent me training for a week or so at a time, I am wondering if there is anything you know of to do during this period to avoid loss of fitness? cheers

Posted Mon, 08/05/2013 - 20:33
Jim Gillies

Thanks Michael. Great job. I have shifted my workout to be closer to yours. I also found it difficult to run when pushing weights with my legs. I can't run 5 miles yet but I have improved significantly following your plan. I should add that I had a kidney transplant about a year ago. It is so awesome just to be able to push weights. I can hardly believe I can run now too! Keep up the good work!

Posted Tue, 08/13/2013 - 11:44
Michael Lee

Thanks Jim. Running provided me a very straight forward way to lose a lot of fat, and keep it off. Now, I can shift focus on building muscle and maintaining my physique. Keep up the great work as well.

-Mike Lee aka Ripped Runner

Connect with me @
www.facebook.com/RippedRunner
www.rippedrunner.com
www.twitter.com/rippedrunner
riprunlife@gmail.com

Posted Thu, 06/20/2013 - 00:21
Jay

Great story, I was once in shape I went from 225 to 192 and now I'm back at 220. I took six months off from the gym. After reading your story I have no reason not to be in better shape. Just recently started going back to the gym, and now after reading your transformation story, I'm going to change my lifestyle. Thanks......

Posted Mon, 07/29/2013 - 11:25
Michael Lee

Thanks for checking out my story Jay! Congrats on your weight-loss success. Keep us informed on how you are doing.

Regards,

-Michael Lee
rippedrunner.com
facebook.com/rippedrunner
youtube.com/rippedrunnertv

Posted Wed, 05/29/2013 - 02:12
Allen

Hey Michael, what you did is amazing man. Your transformation inspires. I respect your achievements.

Posted Wed, 05/29/2013 - 18:33
Michael Lee

Thank you Allen! I appreciate the feedback. Let's continue to connect and stay in touch with each other. I have a eBook and workout videos coming out really soon so stay tuned!

Take care,
-Michael Lee aka Ripped Runner

You can reach me at:

RippedRunner.com
facebook.com/RippedRunner
twitter.com/RippedRunner
youtube.com/RippedRunnerTV

Posted Thu, 05/16/2013 - 01:00
adeja

By eating your nutrition plan and working out daily how much fat do you think I would lose over the summer. I am a senior in highschool and looking forward to getting ripped just like you

Posted Wed, 05/29/2013 - 18:35

Hi Adeja,

Thanks for reaching out. You can expect to lose about 1-4 lbs per week, depending how clean your eating, and how much cardio your doing. As a high schooler, you can get ripped and gain muscle really fast man. I have a eBook and workout videos coming out really soon so stay tuned!

Take care,

-Michael Lee aka Ripped Runner

You can reach me at:

RippedRunner.com
facebook.com/RippedRunner
twitter.com/RippedRunner
youtube.com/RippedRunnerTV

Posted Sat, 04/06/2013 - 20:41
Larry

Michael,
Congratulations on your physique contest win. You looked great!!
All muscles in my body are weak and I am overfat about 40 pounds.
In my case would you still recommend that I just do cardio to lose the fat before weight training.
Using your weight workout routine, what days would I add leg work.
Thanks,
Larry

Posted Fri, 04/26/2013 - 12:12

Hi Larry,

Thanks for checking out my story. Truly appreciate the support and the question. Yes, I would recommend cardio first. While you can lose fat and build muscle at the same time, it's very challenging to maintain that approach. Also, if you start with cardio, it's a simpler approach that will help you build confidence once you start seeing your weight drop, and see the loss of inches around your waist.

Take care,

-Michael Lee aka Ripped Runner

You can reach me at:

RippedRunner.com
facebook.com/RippedRunner
twitter.com/RippedRunner
youtube.com/RippedRunnerTV

Posted Mon, 04/01/2013 - 15:39
Amar

Hi Michael,

I found you story really motivational and I started doing it one month ago, I lost 1.4 KGS so thank you man.

I have two questions Michael:

(1) I will I travel in the summer for couple of weeks and I won't be able to access the gym during this time, how should my program be then?
(2) Did you repeat the same exercises over the 6 months course?

Amar

Posted Fri, 04/26/2013 - 12:09

Hi Amar,

Thanks for checking out my story bro.

Answer (1) - If you can't lift, then you need to carefully control your diet(1 gallon or more of water, try to eat lean meat, chicken, turkey, fish with every meal, keep bad carbs low), and try to get in 5-6 days of cardio (like running outside, if possible). Also, you can do bodyweight exercises (pushups, situps, burpees).

Answer (2) - Yes, I mix up my routine often. Once you bodyfat gets low, then you can lift first, then do cardio after. Or, split your cardio and lifting session up into different times of the day. I hope this helps.

Take care,

-Michael Lee aka Ripped Runner

You can reach me at:

RippedRunner.com
facebook.com/RippedRunner
twitter.com/RippedRunner
youtube.com/RippedRunnerTV

Posted Thu, 03/28/2013 - 10:21
Dave

Out of all the transformations ive seen on this website, your transformation is among the best! First of well done, you must of had to go through so much blood sweat and tears to get there but its all paid of in the end. Just got to make sure you keep on top of it

Posted Mon, 04/01/2013 - 12:56
Michael Lee

Thanks Dave! I appreciate the kind words. Yes, I am staying on top of my fitness. In fact, I just won 1st place at a Men's Physique show and I'll be doing another show really soon.

-Michael lee aka Ripped Runner
facbook.com/rippedrunner
rippedrunner.com

Posted Mon, 02/11/2013 - 00:29
Monty

Hello Sir,
I am 27 year old male. My weight is 174lbs..height 5.10.... overall my body is ok but i had issue with stomach belly and chest fat so i started working out. Almost 5 days a week i go for workout..including cardio and weight exercises...moreover i just eats chicken and eggs so its hard to get enough protien for the day.. still somehow i try to manage it by consuming 100 g of protein a day.... i really need help. After reading your article i got inspired and got motivation.... everything is possible..... i feel ashamed when i remove my shirt on beach due to belly fat n chest fat... please can u help me by giving some better advice.. of how to continue further .. i will really appreciate it ...thankyou

Posted Fri, 02/15/2013 - 16:36

Hi Monty,

Thanks for checking out my story. From your measurements, it doesn't sound like you are too far from a "ideal" weight for your height. I have some questions for you. Can you provide a sample of your workout (Type of exercise, # of sets, rep, and weight). if you want to build muscle, try to aim for 1 gram of protein per either the body weight you want or the body weight that you are. So, you need to consume at least 175 grams of protein. Also, make sure you take Whey protein (about 30 grams) after every workout. For more info, head over to my site rippedrunner.com and on facebook.com/rippedrunner.

Regards,

-Michael Lee

Posted Wed, 02/06/2013 - 16:13
collin

Michael u look great so I'm going to try you your routine.

Posted Wed, 02/06/2013 - 18:40

Collin,

Thank you! Try it out and post your results. Would love to hear about your progress.

Regards.

facebook.com/rippedrunner

Posted Tue, 02/05/2013 - 08:03
Lu

I am 5'11 and I weight 175. So if I will look this at 185 I can't wait to get there. Great job.

Posted Tue, 02/05/2013 - 13:10

Hi Lu,

Thanks for commenting. You'll get there. Share your success with us to.

Thanks,

-Michael Lee

Posted Mon, 01/28/2013 - 08:22
collin

Can I use this program to gain mass only

Posted Tue, 02/05/2013 - 13:08
Michael Lee

Gaining mass typically involves eating a high number of quality calories, while participating in a moderate to heavy weight lifting program. My program is targeted for those who are looking to shed body fat, while still gaining muscle.

Regards,

-Michael Lee

Posted Mon, 01/28/2013 - 07:59
Dustin

Very inspiring! Thanks for sharing, and well done :)

Posted Tue, 02/05/2013 - 13:05
Michael Lee

Thanks Dustin. Have a great day!

Posted Sat, 01/26/2013 - 15:26
Eric

great stuff michael! i have a question regards your routine. You said you ran the first few months to lose 30 lbs. is that with no weight training involved? I have been running for the last few weeks but i seem to gainning weight instead of losing it. I watched what i eat too but it dont seems like it working. I very discourage when you working hard and there isn't any improvements that you looking for. SHould i start to incorporate your lift routine with running too?

Posted Wed, 02/06/2013 - 18:48

Eric,

Don't get discouraged. I can help you. Just need to know more info about your situation. How many min's/miles are you running each week? What are the estimated total number of calories that you are consuming each day? What types of food are you eating? What is your height and weight?

Regards,

-Michael Lee
facebook.com/rippedrunner

Posted Thu, 03/14/2013 - 05:09
eric

I'm 5`8 and 210 lbs. And my daily calories intake is around 1500-2000. I mostly eat rice, chicken, eggs, vegetables and whole wheat. I eat a lot of fruit like banana , orange and apple. I used to run on the treadmill 12-13 miles a week according to plan you posted but it seem to be hard on my knee so I reduce it to 8-10 miles with mixed elliptical running. I also followed closely to your lifting plan.

Posted Fri, 01/11/2013 - 18:38
Emil Palo

You are an inspiration to me. By reading this article about your transformation, Im not thinking twice now of starting my healthy lifestyle. That's me now on that photo of you by the pool. I want to be the one next to it. Been a gym member for how many years now and see no transformation. But after reading this article, I know there is still hope. Thank you so much.

Posted Wed, 02/06/2013 - 18:45

Emil,

Thank you Emil. You inspire me to keep moving forward by commenting on my story. Yes, start today and you'll never regret that decision. I can tell you are full hope, and let that hope drive you towards completing your goal.

Regards,

-Michael Lee
facebook.com/rippedrunner

Posted Mon, 12/17/2012 - 02:54
sagir

thnx bro.......

Posted Tue, 12/18/2012 - 11:48
Michael Lee

No problem Sagir. Thanks for checking out my story!

Posted Sat, 12/15/2012 - 11:33
Arun

Awsme bro.....u in real sense motivatd me wid ur approach n positiveness....gud luck bro....n thnx 4 sharing such an amazing change...

Posted Tue, 12/18/2012 - 11:50

Hi Arun,

I appreciate you checking out my story. I have more updates coming in 2013 on my website, rippedrunner.com.

Posted Wed, 12/05/2012 - 09:30
Moses

Thanks :)
and also, could you tell me how much of everything you ate, the amount of chicken for lunch, rice, vegies, tuna etc? i weigh 210 pounds at the moment, when should i start to incorportate lifting? i was thinking when i weigh around 196 than i should but im not sure :(. Again thanks for getting back to me, your article has helped me soo much in losing my first 25 pounds.