- 1 eggplant
- 1 16 oz. can diced tomato
- 2 8 oz. cans tomato sauce
- 6 oz. cheese - cheddar, swiss, etc.
- Medium onion, chopped
- Oregano to taste
- 2 teaspoons salt
- Italian seasoning to taste
- Basil to taste
- Thyme to tase
- 2-3 teaspoons garlic powder or garlic salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
Take a good sized eggplant, peel and cut into slices. Liberally apply salt. Let sit 1/2 hour. Take a paper towel and soak up the liquid that formed. Rinse thoroughly.
Cut slices into quarters. Place one layer in the bottom of a 9 X 13 baking pan. Cover with 1/2 can diced tomato and one can tomato sauce. Place cheese slices over layer. Season as desired. Repeat.
Bake at 350 for 45 minutes or until eggplant is as desired.
This is a very low-calorie, but filling meal.
Suggestion serving size is one-third of the pan.