- I placed 4th in the Lightweight division at the 2009 NGA Alabama Open
What is your background and how did you get started in bodybuilding?
I played sports in high school and was first introduced to weights then. I did not get a serious until I meet a friend of mine at the gym, Kevin McEntyre, and he had me go to a website he is at called illpumpyouup.com I starting reading and asking questions and have been hooked ever since. While were on that subject I just want to give a quick shout out to Mac, Rick, Ronnie Rowland, and everybody else over their for all their support!
Why do you love bodybuilding?
I love the hard work and dedication involved in bodybuilding, You get what you put into it. I Also like being able to see the results of your efforts firsthand.
What is your training philosophy?
I train the same pre-contest and off-season. Which is as heavy as I can with good form. I vary my rep ranges from as low as 3-4 to as high as 40-50 depending on the exercise and bodypart.
What's a good workout routine that has given you results?
Monday - Chest and Biceps
- Incline Dumbbell Bench Press, 4 sets of 4-8 reps
- Flat DB or Barbell Bench Press, 4 sets of 6-10 reps
- Dumbbell Flyes, 4 sets of 10-12 reps
- Barbell Or Standing Dumbbell Curl, 4 sets of 4-8 reps
- One Arm Dumbbell Preacher Curl, 4 sets of 8-12 reps
- Standing Hammer Curl, 4 sets of 6-10 reps
Tuesday - Legs
- Squats. 3 sets of 4-10 reps
- 45 Degree Leg Press, 3 sets of 8-15 reps
- One Leg Barbell Squat, 3 sets of 8-15 reps
- Leg Extension, 3 sets of 12-15 reps
- Leg Curl, 3 sets of 6-12 reps
- Seated Leg Curls, 3 sets of 6-12 reps
Wednesday - Off
Thursday - Shoulders and Triceps
- Seated Dumbbell Press, 4 sets of 6-12 reps
- Dumbbell Lateral Raise, 3 sets of 6-12 reps
- Wide Grip Barbell Upright Row, 3 sets of 6-12 reps
- Close Grip Bench Press, 4 sets of 4-8 reps
- Tricep Dips, 4 sets of 6-12 reps
- Reverse Grip Cable Tricep Extension, 4 sets of 8-12 reps
Friday - Back and Traps
- Wide Grip Pull Up, 3 sets of 6-10 reps
- Close Grip Pull Up, 3 sets of 6-10 reps
- Machine T Bar Rows, 3 sets of 8-12 reps
- Seated Cable Row, 3 sets of 8-12 reps
- Incline Rear DB Raises, 3 sets of 10-15 reps
- Dumbbell Shrug, 3 sets of 6-12 reps
- Behind the Back Barbell Shrugs, 3 sets of 6-10 reps
Saturday and Sunday - Off
If you have to pick only 3 exercises, what would they be and why?
I feel these are 3 of the best exercises to put on mass. Doing these 3 exercises will essentially work all your muscles.
What's the best training tip you could give to others?
Be consistent. That is probably the biggest mistake I see people make. Changing your workout program or diet every week will make it hard to accomplish your goals.
What is your philosophy on nutrition?
My philosophy on nutrition is to find out how many calories or macronutrients you need and to hit those numbers. Whether I am pre-contest or not I will normally consume whatever I want as long as I hit my numbers for that meal.
Give us a typical day in your off season diet:
I typically eat 5-6 meals a day in the off-season. I have will normally have carbohydrates with all my meals except the last.
- Meal 1- 1 whole egg, 4 whites, 2 cups bran cereal, 1 cup skim milk
- Meal 2 - 1 cup oatmeal, 1/2 cup bluberries, chicken breast
- Meal 3 - 1.5 scoops whey, bagel or organic Pop Tarts (Post Workout Meal)
- Meal 4 - 1 cup rice, 6oz lean meat
- Meal 5 - Chicken salad with 1-2 slices whole grain bread
- Meal 6 - 1.5 scoops whey, 1.5 tablespoons natural peanut butter
Give us a typical day in your diet (contest prep):
For my first show I ended up running a ketogenic diet for the last 8 weeks. So even though I don't plan on using it in the future, I will list what I had since it was my only show.
- Meal 1 - 3 whole omega 3 eggs, 5 egg whites
- Meal 2 - 2 scoops whey, 1.5 tbsp natural peanut butter
- Meal 3 - 130g Chicken, 2 cups salad, 1 tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Meal 4 - 2 scoops whey, 1.5 tbsp natural peanut butter
- Meal 5 - 7oz Lean Red Meat, 2 cups Salad, 1 Tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Meal 6 - 3 whole omega 3 eggs, 5 egg whites
What are your favorite meals and foods?
My favorite meal is oatmeal, blueberries, and chocolate whey mixed together. As bad as it sounds, I could eat it all day long.
Favorite cheat food?
Pizza or Chinese food.
What's the best training tip you could give to others?
If you are going to have a cheat meal, try and have it the same day every week. This will give you something to look forward to and help keep you on your diet.
What supplements do you use that give you great results? How do you use them?
- Whey Protein. I like using it because it makes meals simpler. I usually have it when I dont feel like cooking.
- Multi-Vitamin, for overall health. I always take it first thing in the morning so that I remember.
- Creatine Monohydrate. I normally just have 5g post-workout.
What brands do you think are offering the best products at the moment?
What do you think is a good off season muscle building stack?
What do you think is a good pre-contest/fat loss stack?
For fat loss I tried a fat burner and did not see any difference with using one and when not. I will say that a good cup of coffee first thing in the morning always got me ready for my cardio.
Advice For Others
What are the 3 best tips you'd give to someone thinking about competing in natural bodybuilding?
- Stay consistent on your diet and training.
- Allow yourself plenty of time to be in shape.
- And most importantly have fun with it.
What is your best advice for looking your best on competition day?
Do not do anything drastic your last week leading up to your show. I have seen people try to manipulate sodium and potassium or carb load and end up being in worse shape then if they would have just left them alone. Slight manipulations are all that I feel are really neceassary.
How do you stay motivated? What advice would you give to someone who's having trouble staying on track?
I stay motivated by knowing that when I am on stage, I can look back and know I worked harder than anybody else. That is one thing about bodybulding you can control. I would not want to be able to look back and know I did not give it everything I had.
What shows have you got coming up, where can we see you compete?
I will not be competing again until 2011. I suffered a labrial tear in my right shoulder with about 8 weeks left in my prep. I went ahead and competed without knowing what I had done, but had to have surgery later. Because of this I will be out of the gym for a while and feel that I will not be able to come back and be competitive next year, which is why I am taking a full year off.
What would you like to achieve in your natural bodybuilding career?
I would like to win my Natural Pro Card and compete as a Pro.
Who are your favorite bodybuilders and idols?
My favorite bodybuilders are Branch Warren, Kai Greene, and Ronnie Coleman.
How Can People Contact You?
How can people contact you?
You can contact me at email@example.com for training or nutrition.