MEMBER LOGIN

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      Just Started
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Photos

Default What is the best protein powder for an ectomorph?

Hey everyone, my names Nathan and I was wondering what is the best protein powder for me? I am a 16 year old male and I am an ectomorph, I recently just started seriously working out but I have always been active. Could I get any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

~Psychotic Potato Dwarf~

Considering you age, I would every much suggest you try to get your protein from you diet and more natural ways. Still if you determined to turn to powder my advice would be to read the label. They few ingredients and additive the better; that typically means it's more natural and more importantly you'll know what your putting in your body. But once agian with your age you should learn good diet habits first in order to have a more successful future with your health.

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      Just Started
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Photos

Quote Originally Posted by MariaGrace39 View Post
    Considering you age, I would every much suggest you try to get your protein from you diet and more natural ways. Still if you determined to turn to powder my advice would be to read the label. They few ingredients and additive the better; that typically means it's more natural and more importantly you'll know what your putting in your body. But once agian with your age you should learn good diet habits first in order to have a more successful future with your health.
    I guess I forgot to mention, I do get alot of protein from my diet, but I would also like to use protein powder. Is creatine a good choice?

~Psychotic Potato Dwarf~

Creating is about enegry, so again I recommend getting it in ur diet and natural thing (if ur desperate: coffee?) from what I've read it seems safe though and just like the powder read the label to know what is going in ur body. The stuff about ur liver I believe really only damages if u have previous liver damage like if u were an alcoholic.

• Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      More Strength
    • Photos

Creatine is an energy source, just at ATP or ADP. It is not a hormone. It is not a steroid. If you take more than you need, you will pee it out without ill effects. If you take a kilo at once, you deserve whatever happens to you.

Whey protein powder is powdered whey protein. It comes from milk. I don't hear people raging against powdered milk. Its protein.
    You Can't Out-Diet Lousy Training.

Team BEAR

Forever Bulking

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      Just Started
    • Goal
      Performance
    • Photos

I'm 16, an ectomorph, and also just starting out, what do u know. and also I use good old whey protein from dat Safeway and drink a shake post workout and when I wake up with breakfast.. One scoop per shake.

Also diet is essential from everything I've read. Diet, exercise form, rest, patience, all that stuff. Also don't overtrain. Don't be like those thirteen year olds that go crazy with bicep curls and don't make any gains. I'm too lazy to grab the link but search the site for 'top mistake made by beginners' and read that article.

I am reading a lot lately and starting out myself, I play basketball, hopin to make varsity next year but I need to add lean mass. I'll message u my email if ur interested just so we could check up on progress and stuff, and advice.

• Years Exp
      10-20 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Training Log
    • Photos

ON Gold Standard Whey
    As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another...Proverbs 27:17
    http://www.muscleandstrength.com/forum/threads/76757-51-and-still-lifting-getting-stronger

• Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      More Strength
    • Training Log
    • Photos

Guys you don't have to worry about your body type, it does not effect how you have to train, it does not effect how you have to eat or anything else you have to worry about, it is just how you naturally look and a limit for the maximum amount of muscle you can pack on, unless your becoming a pro body builder that is not something you have to worry about either.

Check out what kind of protein powder you can get near you, then read some reviews about them and you should be able to pick a good one
    Creatine creates a direct energy source for the muscle you can read about it here http://www.muscleandstrength.com/exp...ne-supplements
    But I do not think its something a young beginner should take, it would most likely just be a waste of money when your new.
    Start: Jan 1. 2013 130 ibs
    Current: dec 30. 2013 160 ibs
    Goal: ?? ?? ???? 165 ibs

Do or do not, there is no try... So do your very best!!

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      More Strength
    • Photos

Your body type really won't have any relevance to picking a whey protein powder. The biggest concerns you should have are taste and price. You also want to check the label really well because some protein will included other things, such as creatine and so on. If you don't want creatine right now that wouldn't be a good thing. I would just find one you can afford in a 5lb-10lb size and find a flavor you like without any fillers you don't want. My favorite 5lbs is Dymatize Elite Groumet in swiss chocolate, whey/casein blend, no extra supplements.

I would go ahead and start using creatine(monohydrate). It's safe, effective and it's extremely cheap. It's also shown to work best over the long term, not short. So start now and you might have some measurable benefits from it a few months down the road. Take 3-5g a day on most or all days of the week and stay on it for along period of time, no cycling or loading phase required.
    Last edited by DYoungFitness; 04-05-2013 at 08:54 PM.

• Years Exp
      4-5 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Photos

As long as your remember that a protein supplement is a tool to help your hit your protein daily macros I would look into Controlled Labs PROnom 23. Best tasting product I've had in a loooooonnnng time.
    Exercise Science; 4 Year University Degree
    NASM - CPT

• Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Photos

Protein powders are the same for all body types. There are no ectomorph, endomorph or mesomorph specific supplements. If you cannot get all your protein daily through food, then try a protein powder.

And to shed some light on what creatine actually is, here is a snippet from a thread I replied to a long time ago:

"Your muscle contract by using a high energy compound called adenosine-triphosphate, or ATP (hello high school biology!). In order for ATP to release energy, it must break off a phosphate group. This breaking creates a release of energy that allows your muscles to contract (this works for other biological processes as well, but we're talking about muscles here). After breaking off a phosphate group, the ATP becomes adenosine-diphosphate, or ADP. In order to become an ATP unit again, the ADP must reattach a phosphate molecule. This is where creatine comes into play.

In your body, creatine has a phosphate molecule attached to it and is commonly referred to as creatine-phosphate or phosphocreatine. For the purposes of this discussion, I'll just call it creatine. Now, as stated, to replenish ATP, ADP takes the phosphate off of a creatine molecule. Your body only produces so much creatine. By taking a creatine supplement, you increase the amount of creatine in your body.

So what does this mean? By having more creatine, you can replenish your energy for a longer period of time. This means that creatine enables you to contract your muscles for a longer period of time. This means that you can do more work than you normally can before fatiguing. This can be the difference between one or two reps on a set of bench press. By being able to do more work, you can place your body under more stress, which allows the body to grow larger and stronger.

Creatine, despite popular belief, allows you to work longer, which leads to gains. It doesn't cause gains by itself.

So, in conclusion, if you understand how to effectively use creatine, it can be a valuable supplement. Many people, however, don't understand what creatine actually is or how it works in the body. This leads to false assumptions and loss of potential gains."

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      6-12 Months
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Photos

It is a difficult choice. But I could give a hint.
    To choose the best protein powder needs some deep research.
    Method 1 of 3: Determine the Main Reason for Using Protein Powder in Order to Choose the Best Protein Powder
    Method 2 of 3: Know the Amount of Protein Needed
    Method 3 of 3: Choosing an Animal-Based Best Protein Powder or Plant-Based Best Protein Powder.

You could find more information here: http://www.care-your-body.com/how-to...rotein-powder/

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      6-12 Months
    • Goal
      Get Fit
    • Photos

I wouldn't say there is a such thing as a "best" anything. Some are worse than others but at the end of the day it boils down to what meets your needs and what is realistically obtainable for you. When it comes to protein powders and any other sports supplement remember that they are just that, supplements. Use them to help meet your dietary requirements. Now as far as whats best for you- consider where your diet needs help and find what meets your needs within your price range.

• Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      Get Huge
    • Training Log
    • Photos

Kind or brand does not matter as much as meeting your requirements for your GOALS. If you want to gain weight then consume more calories daily then you expend.

That is really it. To determine those requirements look here: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/ecto...lking_plan.htm

scroll down for calculators.

Good luck

Coming Up The Ranks
    • Years Exp
      10-20 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Photos

Different protein powders are not aimed at different body types, but there are different powders for different goals containing different ingrediants. There are ones aimed at recovery (which I guess they all are to a degree) There are ones aimed at gaining mass that contain lots of carbs, you have all in ones which usually contain things like creatine and/or glutamine and BCAA. There are even breakfast pancake mix powders. The link below will give you a more indepth introduction to protein powder. Good luck and all the best.

http://www.muscleandstrength.com/exp...in-supplements