MEMBER LOGIN

• Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Photos

Default Training 13 year old boy to get in shape and develop self-esteem

These folks my girlfriend babysit for want me to help them with their 13 year old son who has a few complications. He's a little autistic they just found out, he's really shy, he has low self-esteem and he has an excessive eating disorder which has been causing him to gain a lot of weight in the recent years. We're not quite sure yet if he eats excessively for comfort or because he has a genetic disorder where he never feels full. They want me to help motivate him and raise his self-esteem while helping him lose weight. I was wondering if any of you can give me some tips on what kind of activities and diet related methods I could use to help him out to help his self esteem as well as get that heart rate up to burn calories. He likes football and basketball so for the first few times I think shooting hoops and throwing around the ball would be a good starter and a good way to get to know him, but I want to develop a progressive plan where I can get him to progress with body weight exercises as well as cardiovascular health.
    Intensity + Consistency + Progression + Food = Results no matter WHAT!

PM me if you have any questions about ANYTHING! Always willing to help.

• Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      Other
    • Photos

Tough task here Sloppy.
    I have a specail needs daughter that is 10 (not autistic) more cognitive behavior delays and speech.
    I can only tell you what I have done.

First we "play" and what I mena by that is sometimes to connect, it needs to be masked as a game - not work, not homework, not something an adult makes you do - you understand.

We do things like pretending we are cats and stretching our backs, rolling over, trying to jump like a cat and so on.
    Maybe this young boy could do a dog, or any animal he may connect with and you can use pictures as an aide.
    Say it's a giraffe, well maybe he could practice stretching teh neck or trying to walk tall like a giraffe.

We latched on to the jumping and I had my daughter try to jump over a piece of rope to get teh idea of her feet leaving the ground...you do not want to introduce anything he could trip on - it must be something that gives if he should land on it.

We then started taking "trips" around the track and pretending we were going to the woods in one of the corners of the track, so it was not a far walk, but enough to keep moving and stay interesting.

ALso - praise is huge as far as cooperation at times - so say positive things and do not ask a lot of questions to make him think about other things...expalin what you are going to do, do it, explain the next and do it and so on...do not hit more than two or three things at a time - let him digest it and keep the pace going.

My daughter now does the treadmill for 3 minutes and will try to sit on an elliptical for a minute or so.
    I also have the support of a few of the desk staff and they share ideas with me or ask if I have tried this or that, which may spark a thought for a new angle.

Lastly, any chance oif an indoor pool?
    We have one at the community center I go to and it's another really great way to get a child moving around...but you're gonna have to get wet too! Ha,Ha,Ha

Hope some of this helps buddy - I really respect you for taking this on - Kudos my man!
    Failure to Plan is Planning to Fail
    What's your plan?
    Yes, I am a Moderator

• Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Photos

After speaking with him he doesn't seem that bad, but I can tell he's a little "off". He plays contact football at his school so I think I'd be comfortable with working him a little. The parents have me doing Mon, Wed, Fri with him for an hour and a half. I think on monday's and friday's well do fun stuff like football and basketball but wednesday we'll put in a little work. I'll obviously start him off slow. Today I'll just see how many pushups/situps he can do, analyze his level of fitness while were jogging around and throw around the ball. His parents say he's got good work ethic and during football they make him run gassers and stuff so I think he'll be ok with some hard work. My job is to help him lose weight and get his self-worth up, and it's going to take some hard work on his part because I know personally what it takes to lose weight.
    Intensity + Consistency + Progression + Food = Results no matter WHAT!

PM me if you have any questions about ANYTHING! Always willing to help.