MEMBER LOGIN

Coming Up The Ranks
    • Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Photos

Default Wrist and top of hand pain

I've been lifting for awhile and have never had any problems with my hands or wrists. I started playing hockey again after about 12 years, and after my 2nd time i felt my left hand (top hand) pinky side (between pinky and ring finger) hurt alittle to squeeze and grip. After a day or two, it felt better worked out normally throughout the week. then played hockey again last saturday (3rd time) and felt fine, felt my left hand alittle while playing as i gripped my stick but nothing that would stop me. I felt fine the rest of the day then i started to have the same pain in both hands that night in the same area (pinky side between pinky and ring finger going up. the next day (sunday) both hands were so sore and it hurt to even shake hands with people at work. But my right hand was hurting alot more since people were squeezing it shaking hands. then as the day went on my right wrist started to really hurt when i moved it around. i figured that im not used to playing hockey anymore and probably used muscles in my hand that havent been used in that way and are sore. thats not the case right now.

i started putting ice on my wrist and hand and now its been more than 48hrs so i have been putting my hands in epson salt, using DMSO, tiger balm and wrapping my wrist (not all at same time). Still doesn't feel any better.

There is no swelling, it hurts on the top of wrist when i bend it forward and back (like if im stretching forearms). Hurts top of hand and wrist when i grip something. and when i roll my wrist or move thumbs up and down (like hammer curl grip), it cracks alot. My left hand feels almost the same, but the pain hasn't moved to the wrist yet, but i feel it will if i don't rest it. Haven't been back in the gym, going to take this week off and see if it gets better. worst comes to worst, i will go to doctor, but i don't have insurance so i don't want to spend the money if all i need is rest.

I think it has to be a strain or excessive repetition injury since i didn't fall on it or hurt it while playing. And the pain came once i started to cool down a few hours later.

Has anyone experienced this or know what it could be? This really sucks since i just got back into playing hockey after so long and only after 3 times im going to be out a few weeks.

Sorry for such a long post.

Thanks in advance!

• Years Exp
      20+ Years
    • Goal
      Get Fit
    • Photos

http://www.muscleandstrength.com/for...tart-here.html

You did give a lot of information and I will get back to you regarding this but unclear if it is from gripping the stick. top of hand? is this on the palm or the back of the hand?
    A home gym consisting of Bowflex Power-Pro XTL and power blocks(5-90)

Coming Up The Ranks
    • Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Photos

Thanks for the response. Im not sure if its from gripping the stick, as to that would be my only idea of from what it could be from. Gripping the stick and from shooting since you have to roll your wrists and put pressure down on the stick to flex it. By top of hand, i mean the back of hand (not palm), pain is in the center of back of hand but in that region between ring and pinky fingers, on both hands but more on right hand. the pain shoots from there through middle of the top of my wrist, and possibly around ulna bone side sometimes on wrists.

Im not sure its getting better but i keep putting hands/wrists in epson salt water 3 times a day and tiger balm 2 times, day and night. feels better in the hot water as should if its a tendonitis/inflammation but goes back to the way it was afterwards. Want to put DMSO more as it did help my shoulder bursitis, rotator cuff injury, but want to make sure my skin is clean and nothing in pours before using it.

I went out and bought Glucosamine/Condroitin/MSM yesterday to start taking to help build cartilage if its an arthritis issue. Its helped my rotator cuff, even though many say it won't. Maybe its more mind over matter in this case. Im keeping my fingers crossed.

I hope its not a nerve or something.

BTW im 29 yrs old.

• Years Exp
      20+ Years
    • Goal
      Get Fit
    • Photos

Sounds a lot like your getting a tendonitis. From the flexing the stick and shooting puts a lot of torque on the wrist and forearm which could radiate to the back of the arm. There are tennis elbow and golfer's elbow stretches that you can benefit from. CHeck on the web- I do have some older posts here as well. Also performing wrist curls utilizing a thick bar could be very helpful as well as pronation and supination with a weight. Glucosamine may help as well, though I am not a big supplement guy, people I see and treat swear by the stuff!

Keep us posted!

Coming Up The Ranks
    • Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Photos

Thanks for the feedback. My wrist feels alittle better and im able to now function alittle more. Im back in the gym again but am taking it somewhat lighter. Im using wrist straps for more support and almost don't feel any pain in controlled movements. So far its been alright, alittle pain with barbel curls, but lightened the weight and felt fine. And DB shrugs, straight pain through my right hand. I will look into those stretches and treatubg tendonitis, and will keep taking the glucosamine/condroitin/msm which i think its also helping alot. Thanks

• Years Exp
      20+ Years
    • Goal
      Get Fit
    • Photos

Good for you! Keep us posted !!!

Coming Up The Ranks
    • Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Photos

Just an update....

Wrist pain has gone away, but still have hand pain, sometimes 'severe'. The pain feels like a really bad cramp in both hands. To describe it better, it hurts when I grip something not all the way and my hand bends. (its hard to explain)....not really much in the gym because there i grip everything hard and secure. but for example it will hurt if i grab a gallon of milk out the fridge and holding more with fingers which makes my hand flex or twist a bit. the pain feels like a nasty cramp but doesn't go away. I've been dealing with this and managing the best i can.

In the gym everything feels fine, maybe hurts alittle when doing heavy DB shrugs and by the last reps the DB starts slipping from my hands and makes them twist alittle and cramping pain. I have noticed the other day a pressure point around my elbow top of forearm side extra sensative when holding something heavy, doesn't bother too much but something that raised my eyebrow.

Just from these symptoms, anyone know what it could be? Arthritis, tedonitis, tenis elbow, carpal tunnel?

• Years Exp
      20+ Years
    • Goal
      Get Fit
    • Photos

Actually get some lifting straps to prevent toe injury. Again sounds like tendonitis-unclear if it is your thumb or fingers? Did not describe well. It seems like you do well when you grip fully but reaching and lifting a half gallon where your hand is placing more pressure on the last digits(finger tips) and your pain is off the charts. Unclear where far away is so if you are in the states seeking an occupational therapist would probably be a big benefit. They can further analyze your gripping and ascertain the best way to treat the thing.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Coming Up The Ranks
    • Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Photos

thanks for the input. Its not my thumb or fingers, but same area as before (back of hand), I bought some wrist straps for when my wrists were hurting, it does help stablize a bit but the original pain on hands is still there. I have the same pain in my hands if im pushing off my hands and not completly pushing from base of hand, like if im sitting/laying on the floor and put my hand down to get up and put pressue not completely on base of hand. I am aware of what i can and can't do. Im going to keep treating for tendonitis to see if it gets better. the good thing is that i can still workout, bad thing i haven't been back to play hockey. I don't want to push it if thats what hurt it in the first place.

• Years Exp
      20+ Years
    • Goal
      Get Fit
    • Photos

Like I stated before try and hook up with a therapist in your area.

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      Just Started
    • Goal
      Tone Up
    • Photos

Default I am experiencing this pain as well

My pain is in the back of my left hand between my pinky finger and ring finger. Hurts when I try to open a pack of M&M's for my daughter, push button to open the screen door, squeeze almost anything with left thumb and it hurts in the area i described. I don't know what it is or what to do for it. I have also wrapped it, took aleve and put ice on it this last summer but nothing seems to keep the pain away.

Thanks,

Sam

Quote Originally Posted by omargue View Post
    I've been lifting for awhile and have never had any problems with my hands or wrists. I started playing hockey again after about 12 years, and after my 2nd time i felt my left hand (top hand) pinky side (between pinky and ring finger) hurt alittle to squeeze and grip. After a day or two, it felt better worked out normally throughout the week. then played hockey again last saturday (3rd time) and felt fine, felt my left hand alittle while playing as i gripped my stick but nothing that would stop me. I felt fine the rest of the day then i started to have the same pain in both hands that night in the same area (pinky side between pinky and ring finger going up. the next day (sunday) both hands were so sore and it hurt to even shake hands with people at work. But my right hand was hurting alot more since people were squeezing it shaking hands. then as the day went on my right wrist started to really hurt when i moved it around. i figured that im not used to playing hockey anymore and probably used muscles in my hand that havent been used in that way and are sore. thats not the case right now.

i started putting ice on my wrist and hand and now its been more than 48hrs so i have been putting my hands in epson salt, using DMSO, tiger balm and wrapping my wrist (not all at same time). Still doesn't feel any better.

There is no swelling, it hurts on the top of wrist when i bend it forward and back (like if im stretching forearms). Hurts top of hand and wrist when i grip something. and when i roll my wrist or move thumbs up and down (like hammer curl grip), it cracks alot. My left hand feels almost the same, but the pain hasn't moved to the wrist yet, but i feel it will if i don't rest it. Haven't been back in the gym, going to take this week off and see if it gets better. worst comes to worst, i will go to doctor, but i don't have insurance so i don't want to spend the money if all i need is rest.

I think it has to be a strain or excessive repetition injury since i didn't fall on it or hurt it while playing. And the pain came once i started to cool down a few hours later.

Has anyone experienced this or know what it could be? This really sucks since i just got back into playing hockey after so long and only after 3 times im going to be out a few weeks.

Sorry for such a long post.

Thanks in advance!

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      Just Started
    • Goal
      Tone Up
    • Photos

I have also noticed lately that my hands have been very hot!

Sam

• Years Exp
      4-5 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Photos

Hi Samantha775,

Sound like an ulnar nerve issue. A branch of the nerve supplies the area of your hand that you just described. And if you're experiencing paresthesia, or the sensation of tingling, burning, pricking, or numbness, then that increases the likelihood of nerve irritation. Are you also starting to feel any weakness in your left hand? Have someone do a basic test on you: Hold your hands out in front of you and separate the fingers as hard as you can (like you're telling someone "5 o'clock", except palms down), then have someone try to pinch close two of your fingers at a time on each hand. They should feel springy and not buckle easily. Then squeeze your finger tight together (fingers still straight and palms down), and have them try to separate the fingers two at a time. Both sides should feel the same. If the left is weaker, it may be nerve. You can also do a very basic sensory test: close your eyes, and have someone stroke lightly with a piece of cotton the area on both your hands between the pinky and ring finger. They should feel the same.
    If it's nerve-related, NSAIDs like Aleve won't work. Minimizing wrist movement may help if it's being entrapped at the wrist level. If it's higher up the nerve, you will get symptoms in the forearm. Icing it may make it worse, as not only does the cold stagnate the fluid in the area, causing decreased blood flow and axonal flow integral for healing the nerve, it can also further constrict the tissues in the area, further irritating the nerve.

Bottom line: see a PT or a physician.