MEMBER LOGIN

• Years Exp
      20+ Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Photos

Default Men's Physique Division

With the advent of the new Men's Physique Division in the NPC among other variations throughout some natural organizations as well, what are your thoughts on this impending evolution of the industry?

Where do you see this division heading?

Is this the end of the (at least flagship) popularity of open men's bodybuilding? Taking the Europa Show Orlando as an example; the open class was omitted with only the 212 class showcased regarding bodybuilding. The (now) usual suspects were there including Women's Physique, Bikini, Figure and (I believe) Fitness with the additon of Men's Physique.

Will this omission be a growing trend for the smaller NPC/IFBB shows with the larger ones being the "safehouse" for the mass monsters?

I would love to hear from both bodybuilders and MPD competitors...

Thanks,
    Brad

www.WorkoutLab.net
    Brad Borland, MA, CSCS
    WorkoutLab.net

Contributing writer for MuscleandStrength.com

Check out my articles here: Articles by Brad Borland

• Years Exp
      20+ Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Photos

I would also like to hear from the women as well. What is your opinion?

Quote Originally Posted by bradb View Post
    With the advent of the new Men's Physique Division in the NPC among other variations throughout some natural organizations as well, what are your thoughts on this impending evolution of the industry?

Where do you see this division heading?

Is this the end of the (at least flagship) popularity of open men's bodybuilding? Taking the Europa Show Orlando as an example; the open class was omitted with only the 212 class showcased regarding bodybuilding. The (now) usual suspects were there including Women's Physique, Bikini, Figure and (I believe) Fitness with the additon of Men's Physique.

Will this omission be a growing trend for the smaller NPC/IFBB shows with the larger ones being the "safehouse" for the mass monsters?

I would love to hear from both bodybuilders and MPD competitors...

Thanks,
    Brad

www.WorkoutLab.net
    Brad Borland, MA, CSCS
    WorkoutLab.net

Coming Up The Ranks
    • Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      Get Huge
    • Photos

Men's Physique...
    Worst thing to ever happen to the NPC. I'd rather stick a rusty spoon in my eye than continue to see guys rewarded for not doing legs. Legs are one of the hardest things for most people to get to impressive size. Men's Physique equates to celebrating mediocrity in my opinion. Around here, it's typically referred to as Men's Bikini class and is used as a bathroom or food break.

That said, if it's your cup o' tea, good on you.
    - ACE Certified Personal Trainer -

"Abs on a skinny guy are like big boobs on a fat chick - they don't count." -Shelby Starnes

• Years Exp
      20+ Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Photos

Quote Originally Posted by BadSeed View Post
    Men's Physique...
    Worst thing to ever happen to the NPC. I'd rather stick a rusty spoon in my eye than continue to see guys rewarded for not doing legs. Legs are one of the hardest things for most people to get to impressive size. Men's Physique equates to celebrating mediocrity in my opinion. Around here, it's typically referred to as Men's Bikini class and is used as a bathroom or food break.

Thanks for your input! Yes, I would like to maybe see a hybrid division eventually of more classic physiques but show the legs.

I know what you mean regarding training EVERYTHING. There is just too much missing in the MPD to be considered extreme enough for intense all out training.

But I think that is why it is gaining popularity...
    Brad Borland, MA, CSCS
    WorkoutLab.net

• Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Photos

Quote Originally Posted by BadSeed View Post
    Men's Physique...

Im not a fan of it either but I dont think its that bad. Its not surprising to me since back in the 70's and 80's bodybuilding was about size, symmetry, leanness, and aesthetics. Now however it seems to be all about size, who can be the biggest but still be ripped. So seeing that legs arent being judged doesnt surprise since look at whats been changing.
    Always put in 110% in everything you do so that when someone else shows up with 100%, you still got 10% on them.-Chidi Ekebere

• Years Exp
      20+ Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Photos

Quote Originally Posted by Kristian View Post
    Im not a fan of it either but I dont think its that bad. Its not surprising to me since back in the 70's and 80's bodybuilding was about size, symmetry, leanness, and aesthetics. Now however it seems to be all about size, who can be the biggest but still be ripped. So seeing that legs arent being judged doesnt surprise since look at whats been changing.
    Yeah, I hope it evolves into something more in the near future. Maybe add in some poses, etc.
    Brad Borland, MA, CSCS
    WorkoutLab.net

• Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      Get Huge
    • Photos

Im doing my first mens phsique show in 5 weeks. I train legs (heavy squats and deadlifts) more than any other bodypart. I think many MP competitors have great bodies and definitley the look im going for. I think its a great addition because I know I wouldd never want to be a freakishly big as some of the pro BBs.

• Years Exp
      20+ Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Photos

Quote Originally Posted by mattys4 View Post
    Im doing my first mens phsique show in 5 weeks. I train legs (heavy squats and deadlifts) more than any other bodypart. I think many MP competitors have great bodies and definitley the look im going for. I think its a great addition because I know I wouldd never want to be a freakishly big as some of the pro BBs.
    As many are coming to that same conclusion - not wanting to go through the necessary steps to get to a competitive level in bodybuilding.

Brad
    WorkoutLab.net
    Brad Borland, MA, CSCS
    WorkoutLab.net

• Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Training Log
    • Photos

Quote Originally Posted by mattys4 View Post
    I agree with you, the people I know locally and online that compete in Men's Physique, all train legs.

As many are coming to that same conclusion - not wanting to go through the necessary steps to get to a competitive level in bodybuilding.

Brad
    WorkoutLab.net
    I don't believe that physique competitors "don't want to go through the necessary steps to get to a competetive level in bodybuilding." I believe conversely that their fitness goals don't include being a giant. As far as I know most of the competitors take their diets and training seriously, and put in just as much effort into their contest prep as an average natural bodybuilder, assuming the physique competitor is natty as well. Seems unfair to basically say that they don't want to put in the work.
    Purus Labs Representative
    www.thesquatjedi.com
    www.puruslabs.net
    https://www.facebook.com/puruslabs

• Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Photos

I'm with Randoja on that - but if a person trains their full body then what exactly is stopping them from just competing in BB in their weight class? I don't really understand the purpose of the "physique" stuff other than not being on stage in a bikini bottom... just a less revealing BB as far as I can tell.

Or is the difference that BB's try to simply make every muscle as huge as possible and well balanced, but physique guys are aiming for more of a "what is most physically attractive" body?

Not bashing anything here, just trying to understand what the point of physique divisions even are compared to just lower weight class BB.

• Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Training Log
    • Photos

Quote Originally Posted by AToE View Post
    I'm with Randoja on that - but if a person trains their full body then what exactly is stopping them from just competing in BB in their weight class? I don't really understand the purpose of the "physique" stuff other than not being on stage in a bikini bottom... just a less revealing BB as far as I can tell.

Or is the difference that BB's try to simply make every muscle as huge as possible and well balanced, but physique guys are aiming for more of a "what is most physically attractive" body?

Not bashing anything here, just trying to understand what the point of physique divisions even are compared to just lower weight class BB.
    Yeah, in physique you can actually be "too muscular" in addition physique doesn't have "posing" per say, just quarter turns. It's like who looks the best just standing there, not who can flex the biggest. Just different strokes for different folks, but I always see people claiming that physique competitors don't train legs, and I simply don't agree from the competitors I have seen training logs for.

Physique competitor and fitness model Rob Riches.
    Last edited by Randoja; 09-03-2012 at 10:28 PM.
    www.thesquatjedi.com
    www.puruslabs.net

• Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Photos

Ah I get it now, thanks. Yeah I don't really see that as being anything to make fun of - and I know a MASSIVE roid'd up bodybuilder at my gym with legs the size of mine (not a competitor obviously...), so it's not like no legs is limited to guys of a certain size.

And lots of guys don't want to get huge-huge, even the limits of what a natural guy can get to is pretty big, let alone the non-natural guys. I'd never in a million years want to be the size of Arny personally.

• Years Exp
      20+ Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Photos

Quote Originally Posted by Randoja View Post
    I agree with you, the people I know locally and online that compete in Men's Physique, all train legs.

I don't believe that physique competitors "don't want to go through the necessary steps to get to a competetive level in bodybuilding." I believe conversely that their fitness goals don't include being a giant. As far as I know most of the competitors take their diets and training seriously, and put in just as much effort into their contest prep as an average natural bodybuilder, assuming the physique competitor is natty as well. Seems unfair to basically say that they don't want to put in the work.
    I was referring to the extend of drug use when I mentioned necessary steps.

Since you mentioned the similarity of effort, I have to disagree. Many MP competitors don't want to get too cut for a show. A natural BB has to be absolutely shredded in order to stand out and move up to be successful.
    Brad Borland, MA, CSCS
    WorkoutLab.net

• Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Photos

Ok from what I've seen of physique stuff I'll agree with that, the guys don't go to nearly as lean so in that regard they don't "put in the same effort". But I'd think me and 'Doja were talking about effort in the gym and with diet in general (outside of extreme cutting). Fair enough point though.

• Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Training Log
    • Photos

I was referring to the extend of drug use when I mentioned necessary steps.

Since you mentioned the similarity of effort, I have to disagree. Many MP competitors don't want to get too cut for a show. A natural BB has to be absolutely shredded in order to stand out and move up to be successful.
    My bad I didn't realize we were talking about steroids. I guess we will have to agree to disagree. I think physique competitors work hard and that's my opinion. Take a look at Steve Cook, physique competitor and say he isn't shredded though. His legs are huge too. He was a natural bodybuilder before a physique competitor and can be quoted saying he works just as hard for physique comps than he ever did for natural bodybuilding.

Last edited by Randoja; 09-03-2012 at 10:43 PM.
    www.thesquatjedi.com
    www.puruslabs.net

• Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Photos

He's shredded but not like bodybuilders get for comps - that guy is what I'd consider very-cut, like more cut than I even ever want to be - but bodybuilders go to "this isn't even safe for your health to maintain long" shredded, like you can almost see the freaking muscle fibres individually (exaggeration for those who can't recognise it).

I'll give the point to bradb on the cutting thing, not the roids thing though, natural bodybuilding is a real thing too, not just the freaks on steroids.

• Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      Get Huge
    • Photos

Quote Originally Posted by Randoja View Post

Yup i work my ass off training for MP comp. I have a log on here and 2 other sites s well. Diet training supps rest research im very busy preparing. I dont want to be as big as some of the BB guys and I love my sports Boxing/MMA softball etc and bodybuilding trining and training for athletic performance re completely different

Kettlebells' Angel !!!! 5kgLifter's Avatar
    • Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      Get Fit
    • Training Log
    • Photos

Quote Originally Posted by AToE View Post
    - but bodybuilders go to "this isn't even safe for your health to maintain long" shredded, like you can almost see the freaking muscle fibres individually (exaggeration for those who can't recognise it).
    What I like to refer to as walking anatomy charts

• Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      Get Huge
    • Photos

Quote Originally Posted by 5kgLifter View Post
    What I like to refer to as walking anatomy charts
    i respect their training and dedication but that type of phsyique isnt desirable to me.

• Years Exp
      10-20 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Photos

I started competing in MP last year. I think it is a great division but one that still needs to be defined as to what they are looking for. I keep being told I am "too thick" or "too big" for MP but I have stood next to one of the MP pros and he has about an inch or two of height on me but made me look small! The other thing is how lean do you need to be. I've seen MP competitors appearing more lean than bodybuilders. Just confused about what judges are looking for.
    iSatori Product Rep
    http://www.isatori.com/

NPC Men's Physique Competitor

"You give what you give. What you don't give is lost forever. This day will never come again!"

• Years Exp
      10-20 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Photos

Just like any new event, it will be fine tuned to what the masses want to see. Personally I'd like them to have to wear some sort of trunks, to show off the legs, at least a little
    https://www.facebook.com/DaronDblBarrel

• Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Photos

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleBarrell View Post
    Just like any new event, it will be fine tuned to what the masses want to see. Personally I'd like them to have to wear some sort of trunks, to show off the legs, at least a little
    like this for example

sean harley