MEMBER LOGIN

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      Just Started
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Photos

Default Soccer Body Workout & Daily Routine?

Hello!

I'm a 14-Year Old Soccer Player.

I've always loved Soccer, and I wish to someday go pro.

Well, last week, our coach had a talk with us. He said that if we wish to make it to Varsity, we must achieve the "Soccer Body" by age 16. He showed us some workouts, and gave us a few websites to look at, which were all... Terrible.

Basicly, a "Soccer Body" is having Nicely toned Legs, Medium/Large Pecs, Strong arms (Not too Strong), And Abs. (He said that we atleast have to look like we're shaping into that)

I'm going to be 15 soon, and my goal in life is to nake it to pro. My Coach says he believes that out of everyone, I have the most potential to make it.

I've attempted exercises before, like Crunshes, but I usually give up, because I don't know how long to go, and it's not very well organized.

Are there any well organized Routines, for somebody with a Daily busy schedule?

I can spare one or two hours a day.
    Last edited by SoccerGuy; 04-23-2012 at 02:25 AM.

• Years Exp
      6-12 Months
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Training Log
    • Photos

It sounds to me like your coach doesn't know what he's talking about. To make it as a professional "soccer" player (or footballer, as we call it in England) you need skill and tallent. If you do not have that, then it doesn't matter what your body looks like at any age.

If you look at the world cup, you will see any number of different size and different build players.

All you need to worry about now is your cardio and endurance. Yes you need strength so do strength building exercises, but don't worry about how your body looks, just how it is performing.
    COMPOUND! COMPOUND! COMPOUND! ...isolation.

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      6-12 Months
    • Goal
      Get Fit
    • Photos

Focus a lot on your ball skills, a lot. That combined with smarts make pros, the fitness regimen and diet they follow is only to enhance that and allow their bodies to reach their full potential.

• Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      Cut Fat
    • Training Log
    • Photos

If you're concentrating on what your body looks like then you're not training for soccer.

Some of the best players in the world don't have good bodies (Messi, Rooney etc)

And those that do, obtain that body as a result of their soccer training. They don't obtain their soccer skills as a result of their training to get a good body.

Strength will help you. But it's a drop in the ocean compared to skill, technique, endurance, teamwork, vision and so on.
    "No rest is worth anything except the rest that is earned"

NEW Journal: Shut the Bulk Up!

• Years Exp
      10-20 Years
    • Goal
      Performance
    • Photos

Your coach sounds like he doesn't really know what he's talking about. I read Wayne Rooney's book a while back and he never did any type of strength training. Mind you, he was already a bit of a tank. Anyway, I coach high school soccer and am a trainer as well, so I'm a little biased in my opinion. I think focusing on hitting the gym a couple times a week, focusing on compound movements like presses, squats, deadlifts, lunges, pullups, and chinups will help your strength and make you a better athlete. As for soccer and going pro, I would spend as much time as possible working on your ball skills. The best players in the world made pro because they always played from dawn till dusk and developed superior ball skills. In other words, just play as much as you can handle.
    Conor
    Certified Athletic Trainer

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      Just Started
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Photos

Hey, i am a 9th grader and i play soccer. i am 5'9 and 120 pounds and pretty skinny. I wanna get faster and more strength in my upper body and legs, i have looked at some different types of workout plans and cant seem to find the right one, does anyone have some ideas?

• Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Photos

Your coach should not be encouraging you to look a certain way; he should be encouraging you to perform a certain way. If he stated that you should be able to perform a 100m or 40yd dash in a certain amount of time to make it to varsity, then that would be plausible, not that you should have a "soccer body" (wtf is that anyway?).

Focus on working out the muscle you use for soccer, primarily your legs, core, and lats. Things like squats, lunges, box step-ups, goblet squats, deadlifts, kettlebell swings, straight-leg deadlifts, rope lat pulldowns, bar lat pulldowns, and medicine ball soccer throws will be good for you. I would do some upper body just so you stay evened out, but definitely focus more on the lower extremities.

Also, focus on your endurance, sprint times, agility and footwork. This is the most important. You could be the smallest soccer player on the field, but if you are the most skilled, no one will stop you, and no coach in his/her right mind will deny you from varsity.