MEMBER LOGIN

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      4-5 Years
    • Goal
      Other
    • Photos

Default Nerve pain on right side near my glute, and a little on the left side too

Okay so around the end of July, I was lifting heavy weight for the deadlift right? 1st set, no problem, did it okay. 2nd set, felt popping in the lower back and sudden pain and could barely move, let alone workout, enough to where i had to go to a doctor to check it out. He couldn't diagnose it properly because i didn't wanna pay for an MRI, but did get an x-ray and everything looked fine.

Almost 9 months later, I'm back in the gym, lifting heavy weight again, albeit much more carefully and more proper technique. Now all I have is some pain near the right side of my glute that flares whenever i do a lot of activity, or use my lower back a lot. Not so much in my left side, but it does flare up when I'm laying or sitting in an awkward position. Oh and the trunk of my back sometimes feels like it's being strained, but thats been getting better. And it hurts to run on the treadmill or track and sprint.

Just wanna know what my diagnosis is? I've found doing a yoga workout once a week, and stretching after a workout have been keeping some of the pain down, but still it persists. It feels like after another month I should be back to where i was before. Just wanna know what was wrong and how I could relieve it so if it happens again i don't have to spend a couple months out of the gym again?

• Years Exp
      3-4 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Photos

It could be a disc problem. X-Rays won't be able to tell you much with regards to state of your spinal discs and other surrounding tissues and nerves.

The best thing you should do is request an MRI, an MRI will be able to show exactly the state of the spinal discs and tissues in the affected area there.

Lower back / possible disc injuries shouldn't be taken/handled lightly, as the issue can worsen with further training depending on what exactly the issue is.
    Consistency is the key

• Years Exp
      20+ Years
    • Goal
      Get Fit
    • Photos

Hmm sounds like you should see a chiropractor/manual physical therapist. There is one here somewhere on site. He/she can point you in the right direction. I think from what you describe you have an alignment issue where your sacrum/inominate of your pelvis is shifted slightly giving you a slight leg length difference. On Xray it may not appear especially if you are lying down but if you are standing with your X-ray it may appear as a slight pelvic obliquity. This would explain the problems running, and the flare ups.

MRI are useful in diagnosis of disc problems and possible surgical intervention. From what you describe it does not appear likely that a disk is involved, due to the mechanism of injury and your symptoms i.e. problems sitting?
    A home gym consisting of Bowflex Power-Pro XTL and power blocks(5-90)

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      4-5 Years
    • Goal
      Other
    • Photos

I'll get an MRI as soon as I can.

See now the pain is only nerve pain, and i know this because if i lay back(but still in somewhat of a sitting position) it flares up, if i lay down a certain way it flares up(usually straight up and down), if i bend too much, or if walk or run for too long it flares up(usually after about 30-45 minutes of straight walking, and about a few minutes of running). But no problems sitting up at all.

I've been to a chiropractor the first week it happened, but not since then.

Oh and i forgot to mention I feel pain go down my right leg usually when it flares up too(but not when I walk/run).