MEMBER LOGIN

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      3-4 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Photos

Post can't gain anymore weight

Hi, I am trying to gain more muscle mass and seem to hit a plateau. I've changed up my routine around a month ago and started doing a little less weight and trying to focus on the quality of movements and muscle contraction while doing more reps like 10 to 12.

I think it comes down to my food consumption, I am trying to eat more but I think I'm still not eating enough. Should I be consuming at least 3000 calories?
    Thanks,
    Matt

• Years Exp
      3-4 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Photos

Quote Originally Posted by matt3D View Post
    Hi, I am trying to gain more muscle mass and seem to hit a plateau. I've changed up my routine around a month ago and started doing a little less weight and trying to focus on the quality of movements and muscle contraction while doing more reps like 10 to 12.

I think it comes down to my food consumption, I am trying to eat more but I think I'm still not eating enough. Should I be consuming at least 3000 calories?
    Thanks,
    Matt
    9 times out of 10 problems with gaining weight is diet related ( not getting in enough total calories per day ).

For every few pounds of weight gain you should be adding in more calories, otherwise you will simply adapt to what you are giving your body and plateau - much like with what you are experiencing now.

We cannot tell you if you should be consuming a specific number of calories, as we do not know your stats.

I would suggest using the BMR Calculator from this site to calculate your requirements though, and add in a few hundred calories extra to what the calculator gives you for your daily maintenance - this will give you a surplus of calories necessary for weight gain/muscle growth.
    You can find it HERE.

The figure from the BMR calculator will be a starting point more than anything, so this will be necessary to start things off and then make adjustments to suit your body type specifically. The crucial, most important thing with any diet/eating plan is to continually make changes to suit - specifically in terms of total calories.

For example, when you gain/build muscle, your calorie requirements will increase as muscle tissue is metabolically active tissue which burns calories.
    Adjusting and manipulating your calorie intake based on your results will ensure that you keep heading in the right direction for your goals.
    Consistency is the key

• Years Exp
      10-20 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Training Log
    • Photos

Quote Originally Posted by matt3D View Post
    Thanks,
    Matt
    Bingo, if you are not gaining weight, eat more. Hard to know if you should eat 3000 cal if we do not know how much you are eating now..
    As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another...Proverbs 27:17
    http://www.muscleandstrength.com/forum/threads/76757-51-and-still-lifting-getting-stronger

• Years Exp
      20+ Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Photos

Hi, looking at the chart you have posted and the weight fluctuations week by week, I would also agree with Scrutiny and HDJoe, you will find that you need to increase calories, and remember the more muscle you put on, the more calories you will need.

Ideally dont weigh yourself so often, once per week is ample, you can get normal weight fluctuations of up to 5 lbs per day. So pick one day of the week, and weigh yourself when you first get up
    Doug

Not Joined The Forum Yet?? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER.

* My Articles and Workouts Page - Click Here

* My fitness Centre Site - Gemini Fitness Centre

* My Nutrition & Diet site - Coming Soon

"You can't out-train a lousy diet"

• Years Exp
      3-4 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Training Log
    • Photos

why would you think changing your training would add body weight to your frame?

training without a calorie surplus doesn't add mass

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      3-4 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Photos

Quote Originally Posted by dday39 View Post
    why would you think changing your training would add body weight to your frame?

training without a calorie surplus doesn't add mass
    Yea, I just thought it might help but I see what your saying and everyone else. I am going to really focus on my diet and try to eat more. Based on the BMR calculator Scrutiny mentioned I should be eating around 2900 calories, so I'm going to bump it up and try to eat at least 3100 calories. I'll weigh myself once a week too. I notice that I am more hungry more often now then when I weighed 160 lbs. I just have to eat well and not slack off on it. Thanks guys! I'll check back in after a few months. I'm going to post some pictures too, then I will know what I need to work on more.