• Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Photos

Default When to change weight vs. exercise type

Hi everyone,

First time poster, long-time reader.

My question to the experienced lifters out there is, at what point do you change the exercise type (going from incline press to decline, for example) vs. continuing to add more weight to your current exercise? Is it just a matter of switching things up when you feel you need growth in different areas, or are there any general principles that you follow? I'd be interested to hear your approach to this, including some examples in terms of training programs.

Cheers
    James

• Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Photos

I dont change my exercises selection every 8 weeks or something like you see in some sites, you change something when you realize thats you previous exercises selection was garbage or to attack some weakness (like clavicular chest portion), when you spend more time lifting (weeks, months, years) you know best what works for you so you can do this changes for good
    I do not count reps, I make every rep count !!

175cm/75kg

M&S Elite Member
    • Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      Get Huge
    • Photos

Quote Originally Posted by Gabro View Post
    I dont change my exercises selection every 8 weeks or something like you see in some sites, you change something when you realize thats you previous exercises selection was garbage or to attack some weakness (like clavicular chest portion), when you spend more time lifting (weeks, months, years) you know best what works for you so you can do this changes for good
    This is pretty good advise. It takes time, a lot of trial and error.

Also when wanting to switch something up, consider the speed of your reps. Everyone switchs exercises or goes from heavy weight to light, try changing your speed instead sometime. Another way is changing rest time.
    So you say you dont listin to the "big guy at the gym anymore" Instead you read articles and studys and go of what some science study on the internet says. Hows that working for ya? Big guy still big you still small...
    Bench 345 - 10reps
    DL 405 - 8reps
    Front squat 315 - 8reps
    5'8" 233lbs - LIFETIME NATURAL -

• Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Training Log
    • Photos

Quote Originally Posted by LiftinHeavy View Post
    This is pretty good advise. It takes time, a lot of trial and error.

Also when wanting to switch something up, consider the speed of your reps. Everyone switchs exercises or goes from heavy weight to light, try changing your speed instead sometime. Another way is changing rest time.
    Also good advice.
    Purus Labs Representative
    www.thesquatjedi.com
    www.puruslabs.net
    https://www.facebook.com/puruslabs

• Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      Other
    • Photos

James,
    Nice first post!
    LiftinHeavy and Gabro bring up some great points.

And I think just from you asking this, you are at a point where you are seeing differences in your body and realizing things are changing and asking yourself how you can keep it going.

You are stepping in to the realm of intermediate and along with what has been mentioned, do not forget your motivation, drive, attitude and intensity also feed in to this.

So consider all of this when making adjustments.

Since you ask for examples...here is one of mine.
    I kept hearing about arms, with triceps being 2/3 of the upper arm and that a lot of bench power can come from the triceps...so I decided that maybe I should get my tricpes to be larger than biceps and set out to do it.
    Short term goals included switching to exercises that worked the size of the whole tricep and experimenting with rep timing, contraction, full extension. (Form issues)

Longer term was progression oriented as far as amount of weight, rep timing, amount of reps.

Kept a log and after about 12 weeks decided that my "growth" exercise was french press....I di close grip bench for 4 weeks, did dips for four weeks and did french press for four weeks...french press won out as far as how I felt it hit the triceps, progress made, how it fit with other exercises I was doing and the general recovery.

Now, the way I figured this out was by having freinds watch me on form, logging weight, how I felt and the progress I was making with other exercises. Found that I lean too far forward on dips and that got the chest involved.
    Close grip bench...I used my shoulders too much and rounded forward, throwing my elbows in to it too often.
    So, for me, french press was it.

All of this is the trial and error mentioned by LiftinHeavy.

Now, to tell you about a whole porgram...well, I'd be writing a book.
    But hopefully you get an idea from my example above.

In a nutshell to answer the question the shortest way possible - GOALS can be what guides you to change. You gotta have them...once you have a goal - you gotta have a plan. But it's the goal or goals that helps you devise the plan every time.
    Last edited by tadolfi; 03-28-2012 at 12:09 AM.
    Failure to Plan is Planning to Fail
    What's your plan?
    Yes, I am a Moderator

• Years Exp
      20+ Years
    • Goal
      More Strength
    • Photos

I have a binder with 72 week workout plan. It includes Wendler, Bill Starr, and a short period workout of my own design. All of these workouts have a stated number of weeks and include exercises, sets and reps.

I follow this, and I feel that by having my transitions pre-selected that I don't have to go through guesswork of when it feels time to change. It works very well for me.
    To do everything that is required is to give 100%
    To do more than what is required is to give 110%